Hair Algea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
I have a 30 gal reef setup.

My parameters are:

Temp: 87-88deg
Sg= 1.025
Nitrates=0ppm
Phosphates= 0 (close)
Calcium=420ppm

CUC:
1 turbo snail
10-15 hermit crabs
1 emerald crab
1 cleaner shrimp

Fish:
1 small blue hippo tang
1 clown fish
1 six line wrasse

Coral:

1 zoa

Supplements:

Kent coral Vite, Kent Marine Essentials, Kent Magnesium all as directed.

Method/problem :

I perform a 25% water change monthly with Kent Marin Reef Salt and add 1 packet of seachem phosgaurd into the CPR return chamber of the protein skimmer. I also scrub some algae of the rock in saltwater during the water change. And clean all equipment.

The RO water test negative for both nitrate and phosphate.

Any ideas on how to control this hair algae with minimum maintenance? Can I boost my CUC or add some type of livestock? I would prefer a sustaining Eco system if possible.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Whats your lighting schedule look like? Tank catching any direct sunlight? What kind of filtration and how often is it cleaned? Your RO 0 tds? I've had battles with hair algae myself, nothing seems to do a great job of eating it, chitons, sea hares, and urchins are probably best invert's that'll eat some of it, mollies also sometimes will feast on it. Macro's can also help, some GFO can help too.

Also Temp is on the high side, and 30g is going to be way to small for adult tang.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
T5 Lighting schedule was from 10am to 2pm; increased from 10am to 6pm.

There is no direct sunlight, just indoor lighting.

I have not checked for TDS of the source water, just phosphates and nitrates which show 0.

What's the ideal temp? I am using GFO to help reduce phosphates.

Filtering is performed by a CPR Bak Pak protein skimmer and the GFO packet is in the return chamber. It is cleaned monthly.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Lighting schedule seems good

If you have access to a meter I'd check the source water.

Ideal temps reccomended by places like Live Aquaria for reef tanks is usually around 72-78 degrees, it nature most tropical reefs are 80-83, I personally run mine at 80ish, I would consider upper 80's to be a bit dangerous if you lose power and pumps go out fish will be struggling for oxygen if it gets into the 90s that can be lethal some fish and coral.

Are you using and sponges/floss for mechanical filtration? The bak pak you have the one with the blue media in it or with out? I clean mechanical filter media weekly or it can lead to nitrate build ups, Your current low readings are likely due to the algae using up whats currently being produced.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
My current temp is around 77-78 deg. Sorry, typo above. I don't have the blue filter floss that goes with the CPR protein skimmer, I have found those to be nitrate factories in the past. I don't have any sponge or anything like that. The only media I have is bag of Seachem PhosGuard in the return chamber of the protein skimmer.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Get some sort of mechanical filtration in the system. It is the only way to remove large particles from the aquarium. I have to replace my filter floss every other day because of the amount of waste it removes. If you could find a temporary home for the Zoa you can essentially turn your lights off for a couple weeks until the hair Algea dies off. That is currently what I am doing right now for the hair algae in my tank.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
As a last resort I added a juvile Foxface Lo (temporary of course) considering the tank is not suitable for long-term captivity in a 30gal tank. After a lengthy discussion with my guy at the LFS he thinks this might work. He says these guys are algae eating machines. They use them for algae problems as well as other customers. I'll keep a look for signs of stress. I don't have another tank to place the zoa in. What type of mechanical filtration do you recommend?

msouth468

Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
For my 14G Biocube I just put a wad of filter floss on the top level of my second chamber. Then I just replace it every other day (it needs it). I don't know your setup so I can't say where the best spot to put the filter floss would be. All you really need to do is put a wad of filter floss wherever the water from the tank enters the filtration system. Preferably wherever it is easiest to get to. They key is changing it out often to prevent spikes in nitrates. You will be suprised how much debris the filter floss will catch.

RedLion

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
Houston, TX
Maybe the Foxface wasn't such a good idea. He won't come out behind the rocks for feeding. Stressed? The tang seems territorial, perhaps I should bring him back?

msouth468

Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
Yeah, I don't think fish or crabs are all that effective at removing hair algea. The key is removing the nutrients it feds off of.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store