Do Tannins remove Medications from Water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

watertiger21

Registered Member
Sep 5, 2012
United States
Real Name
Becky
I'm treating a sick betta for Velvet Disease (can't even figure out how she got it... I've had her for over a year, she's in a tank by herself, parameters and temps are perfect, and I haven't done anything lately that would cause stress except for a routine water change :irked:). My betta tanks are a little more natural, including driftwood and Indian almond leaves because tannins are usually a benefit for bettas. My question: do tannins affect medications for fish diseases? If they remove the meds or make them useless, then I need to change my disease treatment regime.

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and I'm darn sure it's velvet disease. She has the gold "dust" covering her body, lethargy, clamped fins, and no appetite.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
No, tannins would not effect most medications. It can soften water, which could make treatment less stressful, but it wouldn't remove the treatment agent nor render it ineffectual.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store