MID-LEVEL STRAINER INTAKE TUBE COVER QUESTION NEED ANSWER PLEASE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Hello...I have a 36 gallon bow tank with a Marineland 200 penguin filter with biowheel. The gray mid-level strainer cover broke when I was trying to remove it from the intake tube to clean it. I wanted to know if it is really necessary to use this cover to cover the mid-level strainer of the intake tube? If so I will purchase another one but if it is not really necessary I don't want to spend the money on something that I don't necessarily need. I never really knew what the function of the gray cover for the mid-level strainer is am thinking it has something to do with waterflow and filtration? Thanks to anyone who can answers these questions for me.

Last edited:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Can anyone answer this question for me really need an answer. So I will know what is the right thing to do. For now everything is fine but if the cover is a necessity I would want to know whether to purchase it or not. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
The prefilter basket will prevent small fish from getting sucked into the filter. It will also keep any larger debris from getting sucked into the filter and possibly damaging the impeller. You don't need it at all times but running the filter without it risks damaging the pump which is more expensive to replace. I'd order the replacement part and pay the shipping. It will be worth it in the long run when you don't have to replace pump parts this summer.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Platy, I wouldn't worry about missing that mid-level strainer cover. All it does is (supposedly) allow you to adjust the amount of suction through that area on the intake. It's like a throttling valve. Without it, you're pulling ~50% from the bottom strainer and ~50% from the mid (or thereabouts). I forget how big the suction screen area is on those, but you could use some aquarium safe glue or silicone to cover/plug it up if you didn't want to buy a new intake. I'd personally look for any excuse to scrap the Penguin Marineland and replace it with an AquaClear anyway.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Platy, I wouldn't worry about missing that mid-level strainer cover. All it does is (supposedly) allow you to adjust the amount of suction through that area on the intake. It's like a throttling valve. Without it, you're pulling ~50% from the bottom strainer and ~50% from the mid (or thereabouts). I forget how big the suction screen area is on those, but you could use some aquarium safe glue or silicone to cover/plug it up if you didn't want to buy a new intake. I'd personally look for any excuse to scrap the Penguin Marineland and replace it with an AquaClear anyway.
+1 those aren't really needed. I always felt the mid level strainer was more a gimmick..most filters don't use them. I personally prefer the filter to pull the water from the bottom strainer where more muck is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store