Angelfish with torn fins..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shw104

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Hi everyone...

I have a 30 gallon, heavily planted community tank. I have 3 small angel fish in the tank that appear to be doing very well. I've had them for 6-7 months and they are growing well. At some point, they will probably be too big for the tank but I'm not there yet.

The fins on two of the angelfish look a bit tattered.. they've been that way for quite some time. They appear to be fine otherwise, eat well, active and growing. They are the biggest fish in the tank and the other fish leave them alone.

Is there anything I can do to treat them or help them grow back (or stay healthy)? I've used Pimafix in the past on another tank and it seems to help the fish regrow fins. Is this something I should try or is there something else I can use?

Thanks for the advice..
Scott

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Scott, it could just be the obstacles in the fish's way. Angels with big flowing fins can have a tough time getting around in heavily planted tanks. I know in my planted 55g community, at feeding time I turned the filters off for about a minute so my goofy (big flowing finned) koi angel can get a few bites of food. Otherwise, the much more streamlined and fast fish will get most all of it.

Three potentially saucer sized angles in a 30g would be a bit much IMO. Hopefully you're keeping up on your weekly water changes? Bigger ones too (50% to fin-level).

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Any nipping going on, what other fish do you have.
Angels need room.
As stated above water changes!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It may even be the angels attacking\nipping each other.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
1. Nipping each other.
2. Obstacles and fast-movement.

Angels move really, really slow. The fish in my 100g leave my remaining 8 year old angelfish alone, but that's because they are so pre-occupied with the other 40 fish in the tank. It's possible you need a bigger tank or have to adjust your stock. I have a 30g tall that I am considering moving the lone female to with an army of kuhli loaches for the bottom and doing a fully planted tank, simply because the tank is so tall. Angels LOVE taller tanks without much water movement. Anyways, just my $0.02.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store