Getting a 75 gallon, how is this stocking or should I go a little bigger?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Hey it's me. I'm back on the forum. I missed you guys. Not really into big fish that much any more. Now I am into fancy plecos, some cichlids, corys, etc.
But currently I only have a 55 gallon temp as I did have a 125 gallon going for years but it cracked.
Now, these are the fish I currently have and then I will go over the fish I am wanting.
-1 Common Pleco ( not planning to keep for life, just till I get him to be big enough to go in my friend's 300 gallon koi tank)
- 1 chocolate cichlid
- 3 bandit corydoras and 3 unknown corydoras
- 1 Salvini Cichlid
Planning To Get:
- 1 super red severum
- 1 GREEN Phantom Pleco
-1 Vampire Pleco
-1 Flash Pleco
- 1 Three Beacon Pleco
- some sort of catfish
Should I go for a 75 gallon or a tad bit bigger? Don't think my floor can handle a 125 agian. Would a 90 gallon be good?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I'd say a 75 is good if you opt out on a few of those fish. Plecos are VERY messy. Stick with maybe 2 of them. That's including the one you already have. My brother has a bumblebee cat fish and I like the thing. Very neat little catfish. They grow to about 3 inches or so.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Not sure what you mean by your floor not being able to handle another 125? If you think the floor was weakened by your 125, you may want to consider bolstering it from below. Investing in a couple of floor jacks and a 4x4 to span the joists that your tank will sit on is a worthwhile investment. Multiply tank gallons x10 and that is the appx weight of a given tank. If you're thinking of putting a 75 (~750#) or a 90 (~900#) where your 125 was and you feel the floor was weakened already, that's a MAJOR CONCERN!

TropiKaren

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2014
One gallon equals ten pounds of water.... small and simple rule. If you want to keep the plecos, make a lot of hiding places and be prepared to view your tank at night.
This is how you do it. Turn the lights off in the tank. Have one lamp on in your room. Make sure you have a comfortable chair, sit back, relax and enjoy the show.
The shyest fish are very special and they are little workers.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Should I go for a 75 gallon or a tad bit bigger? Don't think my floor can handle a 125 agian. Would a 90 gallon be good?
If you want to keep it to a good sized 4ft tank, a 75 is the way to go. I don't see the point in a 90 or 110, given they're the same footprint of a 75, just taller.. and harder to reach bottom.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
1g=7#. Pretty standard water weight rule. You may have problems with all of those plecos and territory, but ample cave space and rock work will help this greatly. My candystripe (clown pleco, basically) is constantly at odds with my hi fin, but they have their respective spots around the tank to call home.

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
Alright. I'll get a 75 gallon then. Thanks guys.
I am only getting a few more plecos.
What are some good ideas for a med growing cichlid? I'm thinking super red severum?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store