What is your thoughts on common plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigFishKeeper

Host of Aquatic Wetline Podcast
Feb 23, 2008
Springfield Mass USA
www.blogtalkradio.com
Real Name
Aqua Alex Cardinale
I know the common pleco is a fish some people despise, but what are your thoughts on them? I personally really do love them and think they are unique. Here is my beauty named Bubba.

009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

Viriatha

AC Members
Oct 19, 2009
I love them and hope to have them in any tank I keep, no matter what else I might put in there. They have such unique and fun personalities ^^ I know some people have complained about them uprooting and destroying vegetation but I've always gotten mine while small and never had that problem develop (crossing fingers!).

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I don't despise them or hate them. The problem is, PetBoxMart sells 1" common plecos for $1. They may be an interesting fish, but I would think people would "despise" arrowanas if they had a tank with 200 of them about 1" long and sold for $1. Especially if they were part of the 10 gallon tank promo because they will only grow to the size of the tank right? and when they are a foot long in that 10 gallon you can just flush it, spend another $1 and get a new one. I think people talk bad on them because not many people keep them properly. If you like them, keep them right :)

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I know there looked down on by many but I think it's mainly for them being so dang common and getting so darn big. It wouldn't be an issues if BN's were commons vs. the P. pardalis or P. gibbiceps. It's the bad info given and lack of knowledge that the buyer has that get to most true fish owners. With modern technology you don't even got to leave a fish store to look up info on a fish you can look it up on your smart phones now.

I personally don't care much for P. pardalis but the Gibby on the other hand I just love it's markings. They just get a little to big and to fast for me to own with all my other Pleco's.

MeganYiun

AC Members
Jan 23, 2014
Michigan
leapord-frog-pleco.jpg
image source

I think the common species is more of a beginner "I don't know what I'm doing" type of thing. but for us that have been in the industry for years.. a common pleco isn't going to cut it haha. Just my opinion though.

leapord-frog-pleco.jpg

crodaba1

Registered Member
Feb 2, 2012
I feel like it's a beginner's fish because most beginners get it without realizing the proper care it requires. I like it when it gets the proper care though

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Given excellent care and kept in an attractive and proper setup, it's like any other fish. Awesome.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Imo, their coloration is lacking, but if sailfins count, I like those a lot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store