Aquascaping Idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Viriatha

AC Members
Oct 19, 2009
I have a 4' long 55 gallon rectangular aquarium that I'm just setting up (so new that I'm doing a leak test as I type this). Long but shallow in depth, which means I'll be able to reach most of the back of it - while on a step stool lol

I was thinking that instead of going short to tall, front to back; going short to tall, left to right. I'm putting a terrace in on the left for a plecostomus and it feels ideal for shorter plants. Longer plants on the right, to hide filter and heating assemblies, seemed like a fun idea. All interspersed with various decor and bits of rock.

Have a general idea in mind but not anything really detailed as I expect the whole thing to come together organically as I find bits and pieces I enjoy looking at. I don't have any particular theme in mind and fully expect to toss things out that I end up not enjoying after all.

Has anyone else done this? Any pics?

Viriatha

AC Members
Oct 19, 2009
Well, I was looking around at pictures of long, rectangular tanks and saw a few done short to tall, left to right, but not many.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
My 40b is like this. One giant slope down to flat.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I don't know if you like driftwood, but if you do I did a neat project a few years ago. I went out to the local stream and walked the gravel finding various large, small and tiny pieces of hardwood to turn into drift wood. I picked up a lot of it and put it in a large shop sink downstairs. I weighted down and filled the sink with water submerging it. I changed the water every several days until it remained clear. After a few weeks I had a ton of nice new driftwood. I have some totally cool looking root wads, branches and logs. Even though I use primarily strip tanks, water, filter fish, the tanks with the driftwood added look really nice. I also found that not only do plecos like it, shrimp, crayfish, scuds, loaches and all kinds of other fish like it as well. You never know what you're going to find or how it will exactly look until you're done.

Viriatha

AC Members
Oct 19, 2009
rufioman, do you have pictures anywhere online? I'd love to see it.

henningc: yeah, I thought of going out back into the woods and seeing what I can find :) DIY driftwood is so much less expensive than buying it.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I think that is a workable idea. I might try angling your lines of progression so the same height levels aren't directly front to back. This is only a 10 gallon but the idea of leaving a little space towards the front even though it gets taller on one end is demonstrated.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I think that Takashi Amano is pretty inspiring when aquascaping.

Sent from my XT907 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
My personal interest is in realistic aquascaping. By that I mean making the tank look like a part of the fishes natural habitat. Leaf litter, floating plants, scattered pebbles, and twisty dangling "branches" of wood make for a very appealing tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store