Old Crypts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jutting1

AC Members
Dec 2, 2010
I have a planted freshwater tank that is a few years old. I lost interest for a while but am trying to get it back into shape. I have a number of crypts that all look terrible. Used to look great (6" tall) but now look like more of a ground cover. Any thoughts on how to rejuvenate them. I've heard of mowing them to the ground but wanted some confirmation from someone who knows.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of lighting? If fluorescent, maybe the lamps need to be replaced?

Stocking? Weekly water changes?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Change/increase the lighting. Add more iron fertilizer and possibly add CO2.

Andy

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
cryptocoryne don't usually require much light.. I've had success growing them in very low light ..they do benefit from root tabs and
in my higher light tanks they tend to stay low on the bottom of the tank growing out rather than up.
not knowing what your current lighting is I'm hesitant to make a suggestion regarding light. but new bulbs wouldn't hurt ;)
you may want to check the root system to see if it's bound up. I've had that happen before..usually not the case as I am always pulling crypts out of tanks and trading them with other aquarium enthusiasts ..when I do that they crypts usually make a healthy recovery.. I think they choke out if you don't trim them occasionally.

jutting1

AC Members
Dec 2, 2010
Fluorescent lighting at about 3 watts/gal for 6hrs/day. No CO2 injection. I am also not currently adding ferts. I've been battling a thread/hair algae outbreak that took over the tank. I've pulled almost everything out but I'm still playing with reduced lighting and nutrients to try and get things under control. Crypts are starting to melt now. If I leave the lights on longer, add CO2 and ferts, will the algae explode again? Shrimp only tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How old are the fluorescent lamps? If this exact setup worked well in the beginning, my guess would be the lamps have degraded, thus the algae outbreak.

jutting1

AC Members
Dec 2, 2010
How old are the fluorescent lamps? If this exact setup worked well in the beginning, my guess would be the lamps have degraded, thus the algae outbreak.
Half the lamps are recently new, half are old. Only had the new lamps a few weeks. I'll replace the remaining lamps and see what happens. Thanks.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
They might be melting with the new lights, crypts hate change of any kind. No big deal if the roots are healthy. I've never mowed them completely, some just lose some leaves & recover, others have lost all leaves & mostly recover, works for me. 3 watts/gal is pretty high without CO2 & no ferts, I use root tabs but not consistently.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
+1 Seachem Root Tabs
Crypts on left side.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store