How many Rainbows for a 37?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I love the look and colors of certain Rainbow fish such as the Celebes and Australian Rainbows. They also add a ton of movement to any tank and go on all levels. I got a few in my tank and wonder how many more I can put into my tank? I have an Aquaclear 50 and Aquaeon 20 running on the tank and temp is at 78-80.

I have:
Pearl Gourami Pair
2 Australian Rainbows
2 Celebes Rainbows
3 SA Bumblebee Catfish
4 Amano Shrimp, that are UNKILLABLE

Derek615

AC Members
Oct 14, 2014
I too am a huge fan of Australian rainbows I think they're awesome, but before you stock anything else I'd consider bumping up your tank size. One of the few things that petsmart has gotten right is the recommended tank size for these guys, 50 gallons. I'd recommend even higher at least 55 or 75. I'm aiming for a school of 8 in a 125 someday but they're going in my 75 once it's properly cycled. I have 4 now and believe me they like swimming room and they're fast so the swimming space definitely isn't a bad thing. Just my .02

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have praecox and aussies in my 100g, and I wouldn't put them in anything less than a 55g. They are a very active and free swimming fish.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Everywhere else I read said 30 gallon or more.. I can't upgrade my tank size, cause I'm not allowed to. (I tried to get my dad's 72g Bow, wasn't allowed) I can always return the 2 Australian rainbows.. even though the sites I've gone on says max size is 4" and I never trust what Petsmart tells me. They told me my water was to hard for angelfish to live in, only response.. Explain why I had one for 5+ years? I wish I could find more Celebes Rainbows..

Derek615

AC Members
Oct 14, 2014
Vincenia, try Craigslist that's where I got most of my tanks and if you do it right your hobby can be profitable. I know I can get a 75 gallon near me for around 50$ you might want to consider swapping your smaller filter for another 50 gallon filter at that size.

slayer5590

AC Members
Nov 5, 2011
Ft Worth TX
i would return the aussies and pick up more Celebes. look into threadfin rainbows too. they fit your set up better. those Australians will try to eat your shrimp when they get bigger.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I'll return the Australians but I won't get my money back for them, only if they were dead. I can't find any Threadfin or Celebes anywhere unless I go out of my way, about a hr to a different store. I might take the Australians to PEtco, I know they will take them anyway..

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Sometimes the fish that are better suitable are out of your way. The two stores I like to visit are 45minutes to an hour. Just set up a weekend to go look at them and see if your still interested.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store