Need a centerpiece

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Hey guys and gals, as some of you know I have a 20L tank and as of lately I think it's time for a new centerpiece fish. I originally had plans to breed my apistogramma panduro ( or pandurini can't really remember which) but he killed what I though was going to be his mate. I might set him up another 20L to try breeding.

A few fish I'm looking into is a pea puffer, a Betta splendens, sparkling gourami, licorice gourami, scarlet badis ( maybe a group), or gulf coast Pygmy sunfish. I'm open to all suggestions but keep in mind they have to be small enough to not eat my T espei.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
A betta or maybe honey dwarf gourami. Or a pearl gourami but they might get too big I'm not sure but they are peaceful so maybe.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, it might be pushing it size-wise with a pearl as your center piece fish in a 20L They are peaceful gourami. At least my ~3yr/old female pearl is very sweet.

A dwarf gourmi? I like the betta idea too, but if you decide on little critters like snails or shrimp, my experience has been that bettas will pick them to death.

How about a single, colorful platy?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd do the badis...very cool little fish.

Mark

SirMuffin

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
I have had good experiences with bettas in the past, they do have some personality to them. I would also be very interested to see the pea puffers as that might be really cute.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
badis are so cool. My LFS had some awhile back. They kind of had betta personalities to them it seemed. As a centerpiece fish though? They're so tiny.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Badis Badis would work as well as Scarlet Badis... plenty of personality.

but I'm personally partial to sparkling gourami, not terribly big but could maybe do a trio. listening to them croak is pretty cool too.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Pearl gouramis are "Peaceful" I had 2 of mine die to a funal infection they had upon purchase, now I have 2 left and one constantly bullys the other. they are a lot more dominant than I thought. Typical gourami behaviour, i wouldn`t say they are as peaceful as people say. even in a group the conspecific aggression was very high

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not to pull this OT, but I think if you chat with anyone who's kept pearl gourami long term, the consensus is they are one of your more less troublesome gourami in terms of aggression. Like any fish. No two are alike, nor are the settings they are in. Everyone's mileage will vary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store