Anyone with Bettas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisp71MO

AC Members
Feb 13, 2004
Bevier, MO
Visit site
I have a male and 2 females housed in a 30 gallon long with dense plant growth. I notice today the male and one of the females swimming together and around each ohter with their gill flaps and fins extended. Does anyone know if this is a sign of aggression or is a mating dance?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most likely, mating. Is she really plump? Has he built a bubble nest at the surface? The females tend to avoid males when they are not ripe, as the males can be too aggressive.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Watch her closely then. If he hasn't built a nest, he shouldn't bug the female too much, but may try to chase the girls away from where he wants to build. He won't try mating until he has a good nest, and can kill a female 'forcing' it, if she isn't ready. Males and females aren't really a great combination, because of this fact.

Chrisp71MO

AC Members
Feb 13, 2004
Bevier, MO
Visit site
Thanx for the advice. I have had many male bettas over the years but this is my 1st try with the males and females together. I have heard some people that have had great success housing them together....so here hoping! thanx again.

Chrisp71MO

AC Members
Feb 13, 2004
Bevier, MO
Visit site
By the way they havent shown any other signs of aggression towards each other or made any attacks they have just been swimming around with each other displaying their fins, but I will keep a close eye on them for the next few days and add a divider if I need to.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Well I am glad to hear you have plants and all in this aquarium. And it's cool to hear of someone who has more than one betta (regardless of their sex) in an aquarium...successfully. Good job, and PLEASE let us know how this turns out :)

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
Well...theres only been "more than one betta in an aquarium....successfully" for a few days. Bettas are so unpredictable, they can be fine together for awhile and then one day...its all over.
Watch them closely crisp. Get one of them out of there if there's any sign of aggression after the honeymoon is over.
Good luck to ya.

Chrisp71MO

AC Members
Feb 13, 2004
Bevier, MO
Visit site
I feed mine once a day. I feed them with a few Beta pellets for each plus they also nip at the flake food and blood-worms for the other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store