New Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Hi Everyone, it's been a bit since I've logged on.

Just upgraded to a 20gal long tank from the nano's I had. 1 nano will be a snail habitat for my dwarf puffer still... Yes I said "Community Tank" with dwarf puffer :). So far we have:

1 Pleco
1 Dwarf Puffer
4 Neons
9 ghost shrimp
Bladder snails

I have java moss (thanks CiCrush13) & java fern as plants, but want more more more! Darn those youtube vids on aquascaping. Just want their habitat to be as happy as can be for them.

Here's my question, which other community fish would go well with these guys? & also, which plants should I go with? As I said it's a 20gal long 30" wide, Aqueon T5 fixture.

For those of you wondering, all of the fish get along great. Little puff "schools" with the neons, no joke. He goes where they go. No aggression from him during feeding time, in fact the neons push him out of the way for the bloodworms. But they all have to move out of the way for the pleco when he swims upside down to get his flake treat.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Your pleco swims upside down to get flake? Are you sure he is getting enough of his own food? My understandings of dps is that you do not fish double their size, or anything fast moving. I would not add fish other than those tetras you already have.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for the reply rufioman! Yes he swims upside down for flake, he's a good algae eater, but for some reason refuses to eat the algae wafer foods I've tried on him. I've even held the algae wafers at the top for him to chew on (he doesn't mind eating from my hand) & he still doesn't like it.

So stick to neons? Or anything smaller than the dwarf? He's been "schooling" with them all day, hanging out in the corners with them as well.

Any ideas for plants?

Thanks in Advance!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Not necessarily just neons. Just fast moving fish. Puffers are slow and can't catch a neon or Danio or rasboras.

As for plants; swords, Anubis, Brazilian pennywort, or Java ferns. All are easy to grow and will make the tank stand out a little more and give refuge for the little puffer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks so much! So far everything is going great, even added some fancy guppies & they all get along great lol. Looking into the plants tonight!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store