Tip on pH testing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i'm sure you already know this, but on the off chance you don't.

do NOT trust your tap water will be constant.
you may test it a couple times and it is the same, so you assume it will but that isn't the case.

e.g. i'm on city water, they use multiple wells, the yearly report shows a "average" number, and then a range.

recently when trying to figure out if some sand i used was changing my pH, i noticed the tap pH changed from 8.4 to 7.4 over a couple days.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
the ph of your tap water will also change as it aerates, so even a sample from a single period will change as it sits.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would think it's more of an issue if your municipal water supply is from multiple wells. I've never seen anything other than a pH of 7.6 from My (lake Erie) municipal water supply, but I rarely measure it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
always let that sample sit out overnight and gas off also....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
We had seasonal changes in our water supply from wells, reservoirs & snow melt. The city would temporarily adjust the pH to keep pipes from corrosion but like Bob said, you need to let it sit &/or aerate it to get an accurate test.

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
the water report shows an average range of over a full unit

when they recently changed wells, my GH went from 12 to 17

JackLantern

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
i noticed that too

it goes from 7.4 to 8.2, then sometimes up to 8.4

i wasn't expecting that, don't totally understand it either to be honest. read that C02 is leaving, the water, but not sure why it would have CO2 in it.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
oh, even my RO water climbs when it sits, from 6.4 or lower up to about 7 overnight
That would seem to indicate a problem with your RO water, it should have nothing dissolved in it, and should be pH neutral.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
That would seem to indicate a problem with your RO water, it should have nothing dissolved in it, and should be pH neutral.
CO2 in the source water shouldn't be removed by the RO membrane like dissolved solids. Allowing the RO water to sit out overnight will allow CO2 to off-gas as it would in tap water.

In his post he notes that the ph of the RO raises to 7, ph neutral, after off-gassing CO2.

Mark

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store