50 Gallon Tank - Multiple Questions (thanks in advance!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erin B

AC Members
Dec 10, 2014
Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum and a newbie to a freshwater tank. I have a few concerns and questions and am hoping it is okay to post all of it in this post.

Questions:
1. Today I had 2 of my Starburst Platy's die suddenly, and a Neon Tetra lose all of it's red color yesterday and then passed away a few hours later. I did a 10% water change today after this occurred (while doing a gravel clean at the same time) and am hoping this will help. Perhaps it is the nitrogen or ammonia levels? I don't have a test kit and can't get to a store to get one for a few days, so I am hoping this helped. (the two platy's suddenly were lying on the ground, not moving, I thought they may have been pregnant as they looked like it, and then suddenly they were just dead). Now my other two platy's are both lying on the ground, in little caves/ hiding areas...I am concerned now that the other two passed this morning, but these ones look pregnant as well..?

2. Are my fish I have in this tank really compatible? The employee at the fish store assured me they were, as well as some reading I did on the internet, but I am now wondering if perhaps I should have a different combo in this tank as I see Mollies need a bit of salt (which I do not have added currently).

3. I would like to add another type of colorful freshwater fish to this tank - suggestions? I am also going to get a couple of bottom cleaners...am thinking of Cory Cats?

4. Is a 10% water change once per week (with the gravel being cleaned at the same time) sufficient?

5. My filter flow seems to be pretty strong, even in this big of a tank, should I slow it down as this may be stressing the fish?

6. Should I be using any chemicals aside from the water conditioner and bacterial conditioner during water changes?

7. Should I add a couple live plants to help with the water quality?

Notes:
-50 gallon tank set up 3 weeks ago (I let it cycle with bacterial and water conditioners for 1 week before bringing a water sample to the store and verifying it was good and adding about 6 fish and 2 frogs, and then 1 week later I added the remainder of my fish)
-Occupants of tank are 11 Neon Tetras, 6 Yellow Mollies (5 Molly Fry in a small mesh separator hanging tank), 2 Starburst Platy's, 2 Dwarf Frogs.
-Penguin Bioflow 350 filter
-Light on 10-12 hours per day
-Temperature 25 Degrees Celsius
-Sufficient hiding places, fake plants
-I feed tropical flakes twice per day (4 times per day to the fry- ground into dust though) and usually bloodworms once per day as well as a pinch of frog pellets.

Thank you kindly for all of your suggestions!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
From the sounds of it, your tank is still cycling and the fish do die from high amounts of Ammonia and Nitrite. I would suggest getting the Master Freshwater test kit so you can test your water on your own.

1. It's had to tell, but they could of been stressed from being put into a new tank that is still cycling.

2. The fish are fine to be together, I've kept these fish together over the years with no issue.

3. For a colorful fish, I would go with Pearl Gourmais, like a pair. Maybe add more neons. Cory Cats are also fun to watch! I would do a group of about 6+ as they like being in groups.

4. I would do 25-50% weekly, 10% isn't enough on such a large tank.

5. Leave the filter alone, it keeps the surface moving which allows gasses to release.

6. No need to add any more then what your using.

7. I would slowly switch over from fake plants to live plants. Live plants look nicer and help reduce Nitrates and provides oxygen in the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Erin, Welcome.

Without no API master test kit on hand and the problems you are describing, I'd do a large water change, more than 50%. New, fresh dechlorinated water won't do anything but help. Try to keep the temp in the range your fish require.

From the sounds of your cycling method (adding a bacterial suppliment), that won't do anything unless you are adding an ammonia source during the cycling process. In short, it sounds like your tank doesn't have a sufficient beneficial bacteria colony to support the fish. Lots of large water changes should prevent further fish deaths.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well for a new fish keeper and most likely a new plant keeper(im assuming)i would stick with the hardy plants that you cant kill.like java fern,java moss those are some really good beginner plants also i hear amazon swords are easy to grow and get big so over time it could become the center piece of the tank.
i hope this helped:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store