180Gal brought back to life - Old Hat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Hi everyone,

It's been forever since I posted, at least 5 years ago.

I used to have about 10 tanks setup and be really into everything when I had time, but all that's left standing is my 6ft (6x2x2). I've gone tropical because it's easier than keeping Cichlids.

Anyways...Blank canvas what do I want/need should have without running into drama's.

5 Rosy Barbs
5 Zebra Danio
3 Molly
2 Blue Gourami
2 Reticular Loach
2 Goldfish
1 silver shark
1 clown loach
1 bristlenose

I'm going to go up to around 60 fish I reckon. Water quality isn't an issue, might get a bit more serious about monitoring it once it gets up to full stock.

I want middle/medium dwelling and possibly a few marquee fish like my 4" male bristlenose which has survived 4 different tanks with pond like water quality.

Gimmie your best shot, lets assume money isn't an issue (oh but it is).

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i would not mix goldfish with tropical fish,ends up with one or the other not getting proper requirements.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
yeah they are feeder goldfish, they are already in there, for $1.50 each there are only two. I'm looking for what else I can put in there as suggestions.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok well now that im not reading this before going to school and i actually have time to read your stock i should say no "new" fish.i see a few problems you should address.clown loaches like to school.gouramis should not be kept with other gouramis.the goldfish will get to about a foot long each and thats a lot of poo.silver shark other wise known as bala shark.they like to school and they grow big so thats a lot of bioload.i really think you should address these problems before looking to add any more fish.and even if they are feeder gold fish and were 1.50 each(you over payed for them)they need to have their requirements taken care of too.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
5 Rosy Barbs (up these massively)
5 Zebra Danio (consider rehoming)
3 Molly (as many as you want; beware of fry, your clown will do a good job on them though)
2 Blue Gourami (same)
2 Reticular Loach (same)
2 Goldfish (consider rehoming)
1 silver shark (bala shark?)
1 clown loach (at least 4, I have two 6" adults in my tank and wish I had the ability to add more without the adults killing them)
1 bristlenose (2-3? you can leave it with one, obviously, but a 180g tank has enough floor space for several dwarf plecos without running into territory spats. lots of caves and hiding spots!)

I'm going to go up to around 60 fish I reckon. Water quality isn't an issue, might get a bit more serious about monitoring it once it gets up to full stock.

'pond like water quality.' (hm............)
-I would probably stick with a giant school of the barbs to fill out the tank. I do not like danios; too fast and nippy.
-The gouramis will have enough room.
-Is it a bala shark? They are schoolers, anxious. Good thing it's a 180g, too.
-More clown loaches, if possible. They are highly active when in numbers 4 and higher.
-You could have 50 mollies in a 180g if you wanted to....but don't. They breed, breed, breed and the fry will most likely survive in a 180g.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I vote more of both loaches, or rehome 1 species & get more of 1. They aren't "killers" with enough of each & enough hiding places, they're very social & need at least 6 of each species (well maybe 5, more is best). Very entertaining kept right.

Bala sharks are big shoaling fish, I'd rehome it too like rufio said. Livebearers, meh, not for me anymore. Goldfish? Not tropical for the most part (esp. feeders).

You have fish of differing needs: cool & tropical; hard & soft water; shoaling & not.

Last edited:

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Some good points,

I will get more loaches of both, but I'm pretty picky with clown loaches, reticular I'm not too fussed about. I will get these up to 6 Each.

I had 2 Silver Sharks, I like them, I will try to keep them at 2, and rehome when they get too big.

I'm not honestly bothered about the Goldfish, I've kept goldfish with almost every system I've had to use mostly as target fish and they've always thrived and pretty much outlived everything.

I will fill out with Molly's probably up to 10, not bothered about them breeding, I'll just suck them out and Q-tank them until they grow and fob em off somewhere.

My water is pretty hard, but most of the LFS have hard water I used to work in one and we never tampered with it unless it was for the Africans.

Should I go back and try and get my money back for the $1.50 Goldfish I over paid for? It's not even a cup of coffee....

Also I tried to stay clear of barbs but so far they are doing some pretty nice schooling.

This might be the end product

10 Rosy Barbs
10 Danios
10 Mollys misc.
6 Clown loach
6 reticular loach
6 bristlenose
2 Gourami
2 Goldfish
2 Silver Shark

I'm thinking about adding 1 ONE of this as my 'main' fish:

Ghost knife fish - My cousin kept a ghost knife with 4 silver sharks and a pleco in a 4ft it was a pretty sweet tank
Kribensis Pair OR small pair placid cichlid (chocolate/rams or whatever's)

I'm not a purist, if they won't kill each other they'll probably live together, in regards to bioload, water quality, temperature etc I've never had water as good as in my 180gal in all my fish keeping years, I'd recommend AquaONE Ext. Can. Filter.

I'll get some pictures up.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
I can't upload pictures using the image icon and upload from PC method....what are my work arounds?

In any case imagine a 6ft tank with crystal clear water, bubbles and a bunch of fake plants and broken pots etc in the middle...you can't see any fish because it looks super empty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store