Starting a planted 20g Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Hello all.

So far I'm a novice, only have Java & Trident fern with some Java moss in a 20g long with an Aqueon dual t5. I should be receiving some hygrophila corymbosa stricta, baby tears & more java fern. My question is, so far my plants have been thriving under the stock LED's that came with the nano tanks I had. They also seem to be ok under the t5 growing fast. What if any fertilizers will I be needing? I have some Tetra Florapride (kind of regretting not getting the API Leaf Zone) but it was on sale lol. No CO2 in the tank as of yet either.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A twin-tube T5 is pretty high amount of light for a 20L, so you might need a form of CO2 depending on your setup, to keep algae growth slowed down.

Ferts will also depend on the plants you have. Rooted ones may need root tabs, where rhizome or floating can benefit from water column ferts.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
image.jpg

Thanks for the reply! Here I have the plants acclimating before planting. I'm planning on adding plant substrate to my gravel, on the fence about CaribSea Floramax or Seachem Flourite. I haven't had any algae issues as of yet, but it could be because I'm using API CO2 Booster? Have been researching DIY CO2 set ups as well. So far no melting, or dying!

image.jpg

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
I've used tetra flora pride successfully for years. I also use API CO2 Booster and think it's a better product that SeaChem's Excel. I micro-dose both daily with excellent results. I wouldn't go through the hassle of DYI CO2 if you're using CO2 Booster. I also use CaribSea Floramax but stem plants really don't care about the substrate as long as the can stay rooted in it as they get most of their nutrients from the water column. Make sure you remove the weight from the bunches and separate the stems before you plant them but do group them together for a more natural appearance.

looks like you are off to a good start. Keep us posted with your progress.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
..I also use API CO2 Booster and think it's a better product that SeaChem's Excel.

It's funny you should mention that. I never tried SeaChem's Excel, but did use API CO2 booster for awhile and my water sprite and wisteria grew like mad with it. I thought I'd get 'smart' and purchase a generic form of glutaral (Metricide 14). Granted I did change tanks around, moving plants, etc, but these plants have basically withered to nothing with the Metricide. I stopped using it. My java fern and anubia continue to grow nicely, but the wisteria and water sprite just kind of hang in there. This is in a 55g, with 48" T5HO 6500K.

bacon5

AC Members
Dec 24, 2009
I also would not suggest DIY co2 systems just because it take a lot of effort to replenish the ingredients. So I actually have never heard of API CO2 booster and have only ever used excel, is it like a similar chemical or something different? Anyways, it sounds like that could be used as your CO2 source. As for fertilizers, I have been using the EI dosing method which can be read about here: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
The API product and the Seachem product are similar as they are both liquid forms or bioavailable carbon. I don't know how different they are chemically. I used to use the Seachem product but was running out so I picked up the API product as it was on sale and much cheaper than the Excel.

I have two 20H tanks that are similarly planted so since I still had some Excel left I decided to do a little test and just use Excel in one tank and the CO2 Booster in the other. All else being the same - lights, filtration. water change schedule, temp, etc.,
anecdotally the tank that got the CO2 Booster grew much better. I've never bought another bottle of Excel since.

I'm not dissing the SeaChem product by any means - it does work so YMMV but IMO, CO2 Booster works better for ME.

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Oh my goodness, thanks so much for all the replies. I haven't been on in a bit because of medical issues. Thanks for the info about the Caribsea! I should've read this before I bought the Flourite.. I liked the color of the Caribsea better & the local big box store was out of the dark. So far I've got a lot of stems going on the corymbosa. It seems to be anchoring pretty well. Have continued to use the FloraPride & API CO2 successfully. The only thing that seems to not be doing well is the baby tears. I think I'm going to lose them. I see new growth, but the bottom half it came from is browning :(. I seem to do very well with rhizome plants (how easy is a java fern LOL). I'll upload some more pictures when I can!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Also, @ROYWS3 I've noticed a huge boost in new leaves on literally everything since using the API CO2 booster. The java ferns have so many new little brown roots coming off the bottoms of the leaves! It makes a huge difference when I've skipped a day or whatnot as well.

FromTheDarkness

AC Members
Jan 7, 2015
Are they still good good?

I notice you have a lot of 02 from the looks of the pic, this is not a good thing on low tech, and adding co2 in liquid or diy(don't recommend) inconsistency lead to algea usually BBA
To much 02 realises the c02 from the water, when you really want to retain it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store