Off brand led lights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cuban007

AC Members
Jan 16, 2009
SoCal
Has any one bought or had any experience with the off brand led lights from China sold on Ebay and Amazon??? If so, can you share your reviews with the forum??? Thanx.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got a cheaper, relatively high wattage, 48" 6500k LED I bought from Aquatraders close to a year ago. It lost one bank of 3 leds very early on, but hasn't lost anymore as of yet. Its got 72 LEDs total. Very intense light.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are those the odyssea ones?
No, my 48" LED is a BeamsWork. This one: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Tropical-Fish-p/56327p.htm I used it for floating wisteria and water sprite in my Oscar and Severum 75g tank. It's a good plant growing light, but these fish were constantly mulching these plants, so I removed the plants and just run the BeamsWork on "low" now.

I do have a 48" Odyssea T5HO, twin-tube on my 55g. I've had it for over 2yrs. Great fixture. You can get those for ~$40 shipped, with lamps these days. Awesome for the price IMO.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Odyssea sells BeamsWork and GreenElement LED fixtures. As far as I know, they don't have house-branded LED fixtures. Anyway, they're pretty good lights - not the best, not the widest spectrum, but good value.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Odyssea sells BeamsWork and GreenElement LED fixtures. As far as I know, they don't have house-branded LED fixtures. Anyway, they're pretty good lights - not the best, not the widest spectrum, but good value.
Any links to that?

Best I've been able to tell is Aquatraders happens to sell Odyssea and BeamsWork "brands". They may very well come out of the same factory in China.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Any links to that?

Best I've been able to tell is Aquatraders happens to sell Odyssea and BeamsWork "brands". They may very well come out of the same factory in China.
Ahh - meant AquaTraders. (I equate the two - AquaTraders and Odyssea - perhaps wrongly.)

Aquatraders GreenElement (just one example)
Aquatraders BeamsWork (just one example)

Apparently they also now sell a brand called EVO. No idea how different any of them are. I have one each of BeamsWork and GreenElement, and aside from the obvious (one is longer than the other) don't see any difference).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanx everyone for your responses. Any issue with these lights getting really hot???
The one I have, and linked to above generates basically no heat from the light itself. The transformer (at plug end) gets pretty toasty. It's a 15VDC, 6A output. That's a nice feature of this type of LED fixture. Very little heat transfer to tank, where T5HOs really throw some heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store