Help sexing a Bolivian ram?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lucky

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
B468TuuIcAAMwaY.jpg
I'm leaning towards female, but I haven't had enough practice sexing to be sure.
S/he will be getting a friend of the opposite sex (not looking to intentionally breed though), so I'll have to figure out the gender eventually.

B468TuuIcAAMwaY.jpg

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
bolivian rams are difficult to sex. the tell tale sexual traits have been gapped by domestic breeding.. in essence the normal traits used to determine sex can be seen on both sexes now.

the best, most reliable method is checking the ovipositor.. breeding tube.. the females is usually short and blunt on the end the males are short and pointed ..

I had what I thought were 3 females based on sex characters..but I have fry now so I know there is a male and female there..first ever successful pair for me..have 10-15 rowing out in a planted 2 long

Lucky

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
Star - The problem is, I've been trying to identify the sex by the vent, but I haven't had to do so before and don't have any live fish to compare to, so I'm having trouble definitively saying which gender it is.
Sometimes I think it looks pointy, sometimes I think it may have just been the angle.
I guess I may end up having to wait until it's a little older, but I was hoping to get it a partner of similar age and it's harder to find adults in the local stores.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store