trapdoor snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
I just got 3 trapdoor snails for my community tank and I really like them. I have had mystery snails (brigs) in the past and I read the trapdoor snails are better at cleanup and unlikely to eat your plants. Mine have yellowish brown shells and dark colored bodies, so they aren't as flashy as some of the brigs were, but they are nice and active and I can tell they are good scavengers. I'd love it if mine were to breed, anyone know how likely that is? I know they are livebearers and less likely to overpopulate your tank which is good. But I'd like to have more of them if they would breed for me. Also, what do you feed your snails? Fish food or homemade food? I have sinking shrimp pellets and hikari algae wafers already. I remember making a type of gel food when I used to have the brigs but I can't find the recipe now. I think it had extra calcium in it for healthy shells and you could freeze little cubes of it and throw them in and they would sink to the bottom for the bottom feeders.

flabbbysdad

Registered Member
Mar 13, 2015
I recently obtained a few of these snails. Shortly after receiving them one delivered two live babies. They supposedly do this about once a year. I was told that they are mainly filter feaders and are great for cleaning tanks with green water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store