Are 2x250 watt metal halides and LEDs moonlight settings good for freshwater aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Derek615

AC Members
Oct 14, 2014
Hey guys I have a 48" 2x250 watt metal halide and led moonlight light setup, has anybody ever used these on a freshwater aqaurium? I got them with a tank purchase off craiglsist but I'm a low tech guy I just like to use fluorescent lights does anybody have experience with these? Thanks
moonlight setting
Full lights

image.jpg image.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
~500 watts worth of metal halides would be too intense for a FW setup, unless it was for a very large tank or the fixture suspended a distance above and the tank is high tech and CO2 injected.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Many freshwater fish come from shaded streams and rivers, or muddy streams and rivers. They're not really used to intensely bright lighting, such as that. They MAY adjust over time, if they survive the initial stress, but it'd almost certainly be hard on them, and for no good reason.

10 years ago, that would be a decent reef setup. (Today, it'd be a horribly inefficient one, but still effective.)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, I couldn't imagine having a single tank fixture that consumes 500+ watts. My 4 tanks and all their hardware combined don't use that much juice.

OTOH, that metal halide fixture would make an AWESOME garage or basement workshop light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store