HELP - Too High Ammonia Levels and Purigen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Erin B

AC Members
Dec 10, 2014
HELP!

I have a 50 gallon freshwater tank that has been set up for 6 weeks now. I set it up initially and let it cycle for 2 weeks, took a water sample to a store and had it tested and it was perfect. Suddenly, 3 weeks later, some of my fish started to die. I posted on this forum about it and it was suggested to test the ammonia and nitrate levels. Nitrate was fine, ammonia was NOT. I immediately did a 25% water change and added an ammonia product as well as a biological supplement - two more fish died the next day, I re-tested the ammonia levels and it was still too high. I did a 50% (or even a bit more water change) and re-added the aforementioned products and again had another fish die and the ammonia levels are still too high...I don't know what to do and am aware that the initial cycle was not perhaps completed fully...AHHHHH!

I went into Petland and there was an employee there who claimed to know a lot about fish and my issue. He recommended I add salt (bought and added) and also another product called 'Purigen Ultimate Filtration Seachem' and a mesh bag to use with this product. My question for this product is that the directions state only how to 'regenerate' this product...not how to use it initially. Do I just put it in a mesh bag and then place it in the filter and that's it???

HELP asap please (and thanks!).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Erin, if you've got fish in this tank and there's ammonia present, you need to do big water changes until you see no ammonia. You can pull the water level right down to where the fish can barely swim, then fill back up with same temperature, dechlorinated tap water. Keep doing water changes until no ammonia is present, feed the fish every other day very lightly, and monitor your water params often.

When you say you let your tank cycle for two weeks, what steps did you take? Cycling a brand-new tank, with all new equipment requires you to add an ammonia source, monitor water parameters, and then wait for the magic to happen. The process takes a good month or more, all verified with an API Master Test Kit to measure for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Don't rely on a pet store to read your water parameters for you.

You can bypass the adding ammonia part by starting up a new tank, using old, healthy, well established filtration (sponges, bio media, etc). In that case, you can add some fish right away, keep an eye on your water parameters and be prepared to do large water changes if needed. Other than that, you stick with your regular weekly water changes.

Erin B

AC Members
Dec 10, 2014
Thank you kindly with your information. Any chance you have used Puritan before? And if so, do you know if I need to 'regenerate' it before initial use?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hey Erin. No I have not used Purigen. I don't even run activated carbon in my tanks. I'm pretty sure Purigen doesn't need to be regenerated prior to it's first use. If need be, it would say so I'd think.

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
Purigen doesn't need charged before its first use.

Purigen is great for making water stained with tannins clear, unfortunately it won't help your current situation. Freshy is right that your only recourse now is frequent large water changes. If ammonia or nitrites are at or above 0.5, do a 75% or larger water change. Test daily. Using prime can help avoid fish loss due to ammonia poisoning, but water changes are still required. It's not a cure, just a bandaid that can keep it less toxic between water changes.

If you have a friend with an established tank, ask them for some filter media or substrate (keep it wet during tansport.) Put it in a mesh bag and stick it in your filter for a couple of months.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store