Best ways to Aerate my aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I currently have a 120g thats overfiltered and currently has a submersible pump with a L bend above it to create surface agitation and aerate the water.
I lost a few fish lately to what looked like asphyxiation so I decided to mcguyver together a solution. instantly the fish started swimming all over and left the top region of the aquarium. I have had no problems since.

I would like to buy either an air pump and airstone combination to create a more oxygenized environment, or possibly a powerhead that has an airline input (the aquaclear 50 for example)

Not only to keep my water well oxygenated but I am going to be keeping Geophagus species in the aquarium and I am reading that they do badly in poorly oxygenated water and they can prematurely die.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Not saying it can't happen, but on a tank with healthy water parameters a fish should never die from lack of oxygen.. unless it's grossly overstocked, or the water temp way too high maybe, but then again, water parameters would come into play from the over stocking.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I`ve kept fish for about 13 years now, the tank is 120 gallons and only has 2 gourami`s about 6 livebearers a small shoal of rasboras and live plants. its overfiltered and under stocked it has been set up for about 2 months now.

I probably should have mentioned that overheating was the reason they died, the aquarium was above the recommended temperature I figure that the heater controls had been accidentally adjusted when I moved and set the tank up again. Either way after the few fish died I reduced the temperature and created more flow and aeration and instantly everything is better. At first I was confused as to why I lost them considering the parameters were fine, but when I checked the temperature the answer was obvious.

I appreciate the response but I was looking for an answer to my question about what would be the most effective way to oxygenate the tank. I had 3 small geos over a year ago and lost them because the water was not oxygenated enough, I read a thread over on another forum suggesting that Geos should always be kept with high oxygenation and good flow. so Before I go and stock some I`d like to get my aquarium oxygenated well enough for them.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you. I've kept tanks since the late 1970s. High water circulation alone will provide extra oxygenation due to the agitation at the surface. Those much more versed in the hobby have explained to me that's where the magic happens in terms of adding O2 to the water, not from making bubbles. Some happens from bubbles, but not as much as with general circulation. To me, bubbles are useless unless they're powering some type of filtration, or you just like the looks of them in your tank.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks I wasn't aware that my message sounded kinda douchey, I didn't mean any offense I just Don't want to come across as a complete beginner.

I have been doing my research on powerheads and I guess what I want to know is, what would be the most effective way to oxygenize the water for Geophagus?
Would you recommend getting a good powerhead and fixing it near the surface as to create a lot of agitation? or would it be better to get an air stone and allow the bubbles to disturb the surface above and create a good amount of agitation to aid in the oxygenation process?

The outlet of my filter is pretty powerful as its a larger filter than I need for the 120, but its one of those upside down U shaped pipes that drapes over the tank top and down, so its not actually at the surface creating a whole lot of agitation. Thanks for the response

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
I think a powerhead would meet your goal better than an air pump. I recommend the maxijet 600 or 1200 due to price and that they come with the conversion kit which significantly increases flow and water movement.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Raf- like Andrew said, on a 6ft tank, I'd go the powerhead route too, and place it how it best fits in with your decor/setup. Save the air pump to power a sponge filter or two (if you want). It adds further surface agitation, gives the bubble look, and can be yanked out and plopped into another tank, should you need an instant cycle. I just about lost coffee out my nose over "douchey"... I definitely don't intend to be that either. LOL.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Surface agitation is key, as bubbles can be. If you follow the theory that surface agitation increases the surface area available to contact the water, then you really also are agreeing that the more bubbles in the water...ie air surface meeting water surface...is the same.....the exchange between to is consistent and ongoing. Many folks don't like the appearance of the bubbles or the noise from an air pump. Some will argue that the bubbles aren't in contact with the water long enough...show me proof how long the air exchange needs to be.... :)

Some meds can also cause a decrease in O2.

As for Geos, high flow for sure, in general.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the input guys I picked up an aqueon 950, I get 950 GPH on a 120g aquarium. plus I have a 180g rated canister so already have soem good flow.

Took me a while to work out the location of the powerhead and where to aim my filter output to actually create a good flow that didnt ruin my plants and disturb my fish too much. Now all my plants are wobbling gently in the curent and I don`t have even a slight dead spot. the powerhead is aimed towards the surface and createing good distortion and my fish all seem to love the added flow especially my siamese algae eater.

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
I would add an air pump and air stone with a sponge filter. The powerhead you mentioned sounds great for your tank! Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store