Getting rid of snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
I've got these freshwater snails and there's at least 100 of them... I've got 5 yoyo loaches, not sure if they're keeping them under control, never seen them munching on a snail, but they don't seem to be growing in number, they're just consistently there.

What are some other methods to get the snails down, pref. to 0.?

Thanks.

EDIT: After checking out the name, they're trumpet snails...

http://www.aquariumdomain.com/images/invert_freshwater/malaysianTrumpetSnail2.jpg
http://www.amazonmoosey.com/images/92.Customer Swampwood Pictures/SnailMagnet.jpg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah the loaches will have a harder time with those, because of their harder shell and ability to close up tight. They will get a few, but not really be able to control them. Because they hide more during the day and are out at night you could just go a few nights of turning the lights on and removing the ones that are easy to get to. It might take a bit but they don't reproduce as fast as some snails so you will be able to make a difference in the population.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Feeding lightly will help keep the snail population down.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
I feed lightly and it's not really out of control. I underfeed firstly to see how hungry they are, and when it's all gone I do another pinch. probably twice a day.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
assign snails could work i think.or would they become food for the loaches?

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
fighting fire with fire, but if the assassin snails wins (i assume you mean assassin snails?) wouldn't I just be left with a bunch of unwanted snails, again?

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Once you feed too much just a few times and their numbers get established it can be harder to knock them back down again. I got an assassin snail for $1.50 and hes eradicated all the pest snails I had which to be honest wasn`t very many to begin with.

You could try grabbing a bunch of assassins, mine dissapears for days at a time, I`ve caught him half submerged in the substrate aswell as actively stalking around on the glass

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
I like the name of this snail, Assasin snail! Cool! Since there's so many, I would try an assasin snail or maybe a loach (clown loach maybe) that eats snails voraciously. I had a problem like that 2 year ago. People here thought they were cute and should be left alone and blah blah blah. A single clown loach quickly quashed the problem for me, perhaps it could help you too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store