i need help :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Ok so i was checking my 29 gallon hood when i noticed the long skinny bulb,curious I took it out and found out if was only 17 watts!!! It's an aqueon full spectrum 17 watt 24 inch long bulb made in Germany that has the writing t8 on it. I need a new hood and some hew bulbs. Could any body point me in the direction of what to do now? I have many plants in there mostly low lights but i didn't know how low the light was!! I am now completely lost in what to do. I tried looking up 90 watt long fish tank blubs but i got next to nothing. And i looked up new hoods for a 29 gallon tank and they were of no help. I really want to get my plants good lightning that they deserve. And i know i want to help them the best i can but im a kid and money is hard for me to come by,so could the stuff be no more than about 200 dollars with 100 dollars being more preferable. Oh and also i am hoping for 3 watts per gallon it that's ok.

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Get glass cut at a hardware store to replace your hood with. Swap out your light for either a twin bulb t5ho fixture or led fixture. The watts per gallon concept does not apply to led.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Evil- There's relatively low cost options out there that will work well. Stick with something 6500K for a color/temperature rating for plants as opposed to "full spectrum" (what ever that means). Here's a nice LED for $38 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-30-0-50...326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f49a29b6

Only other thing you'd need is a glass versa top. Like said, you can get some plexi or glass cut or just pick up a versa top. They're about $30 for a 30" hinged versa-top.

If you want to keep your existing 24", 17w T8, there's nothing wrong with that either!! Just replace the lamp with a 24", 6500K T8. That light will support real low-light, slow growers like java fern and anubia.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok freshyfresh i like the one in the first link can they do debit cards?

Last edited:

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
The Wal-Mart shop light may not be electrically insulated correctly for use around water.
A replacement bulb can be had online for usually under 10 dollars. Then buy a glass lid, that's 20 dollars. Finally, look for an incandescent strip light for your tank to handle compact fluorescent bulbs. Use compact bulbs around 5500 k from the home depot. Bang you're set for a low light plant setup. Pet mountain still sells incandescent strip lights. So the setup is a glass lid, your original strip light with replacement bulb and the incandescent light strip.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Well when i have gotten the money and am ready to get the lights i will go with either the one freshyfresh chosen or the one roy found. If the one freshyfresh is still in stock then i will go with them, it'll save me 12 bucks.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I just realized something,the glass for the hood. Would they sell glass at the hard ware store? Or would i have to go to walmart or somewhere else and get a big piece of glass? Also how thick should the glass be?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store