Please help, our fish are dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aprillynn

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2014
Please help us figure out what is going on with my daughters 10 gallon aquarium with a basic Top Fin filter 10. We set up the tank in early September. Under the advice of Petsmart, we let the tank run for 48 hours before adding any fish. The first couple of months we had several losses, off and on. But since mid-November, things seemed to be great. We
2 zebra danios
2 red wag plattys
2 black skirt tetras
4 Dalmatian Molly's
1 rubber lipped plecostomas
](Note: we do realize this slightly overstocked the tank, but figured it would be a temporary thing since we are upgrading soon).
About 10 days ago our plecostomas died suddenly, without appearing to be sick at all prior to dying
]About 4 days ago we noticed one of the red wag plattys was staying at the bottom, or hiding behind a leaf. The next day we noticed what looked like ich (it appeared like sugar crystals) on both plattys, one of the tetras and three of the Molly's. By the afternoon one of the plattys and two of the Molly's were dead. We got some ich tablets from Petsmart and followed the directions. The next day the tetras appeared to have fin rot and ich and another Molly died. We've lost one of the tetras now. The only thing left is one tetra with fin rot and ich, one Molly with ich, one platty with ich, and two zebra danios who seem to be healthy ( and ironically are two of the fish we started with in the beginning).
Our seemingly good aquarium seems to have taken a terrible turn! When we were in Petsmart we had out water tested and it all tested good so we just don't know what the problem is. We have had it tested frequently over the past few months and it always tests good.
We do weekly water changes of 20-25% and vacuum the gravel with each change.
]I have the Api stress coat and stress zyme that we use with each water change.

My daughter has asked Santa for a larger tank for Christmas (a 36 gallon bow front), but it appears we may be completely starting over with the new aquarium!
[
Any advice on our current problems, or on setting up our new tank after Christmas is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Baffled fish keepers in Mississippi :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What is your temp?? When you do WC, how do you treat the new water (or do you??).

Do you have any test kits?? Which ones and the readings??

Best guess==Ammonia, or Nitrite.

Aprillynn

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2014
What is your temp?? When you do WC, how do you treat the new water (or do you??).

Do you have any test kits?? Which ones and the readings??

Best guess==Ammonia, or Nitrite.
Water temp is 78.
when I do water changes I treat the new water with stress coat and stress zyme before adding it.

We we do not have test kits.

I take samples toPetsmart and they use the long strips that test several things. Every time they've said it was all within safe parameters. This last time she said our water was perfect.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Those test strips are not the most reliable. A good liquid test kit will do better for you, like the one made by API. Use Prime...dose straight to the tank as you refill, for the volume of the tank, not the volume of the water change. When they told you to let the tank stand for 48 hours before adding fish was not good advice.

How are you treating the ich?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
April, Welcome!

With the stocking you listed for your 10g, that tank would possibly require more than one large water change per week to keep nitrates as low as possible.

Don't feel bad about missing the boat on cycling, proper water parameters and water changes the first time around. A lot of us started out that way!

Aprillynn

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2014
WE are using tetra ich guard (tablets). Last night was the 5th dose. We've now lost all but the two danios and they appear to be healthy.

Assuming they survive, what is your best recommendation on setting up and moving them to the new tank she is getting for Christmas?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) from my experience, only Salt combinded with a higher temp has ever cured ICK.

2) I would make sure that zebras are healthy before starting "new" tank.

3) If you "Can", set-up tank first, let settle and "cycle", then move zebras over.

joecool44

AC Members
Jan 26, 2015
Real Name
Joe
To fix ur ich prob raise the temp to 82 and leave it for a few days tht will stop the reproduction then slowly raise it to 88 to kill off the rest of the parasite and still use the ich tabs, also there is treatment for fin rot but also make sure it's fin rot and and not just a aggressive fish in the tank, get ur tank water tested too and don't buy from Petco drive the extra mile to a local fish store to get ur fish, most of petcos fish is poorly looked after. Do water change too and make sure u acclimate ur fish before putting them in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
1) from my experience, only Salt combinded with a higher temp has ever cured ICK.

2) I would make sure that zebras are healthy before starting "new" tank.

3) If you "Can", set-up tank first, let settle and "cycle", then move zebras over.

:thm: dose the table salt and raise the temp... 'nuff said....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store