Bad news for me.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Unfortunately my apistogramma pasted today. I'm performing tests right now to see if anything was out of line ( ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite). If all looks goodie going to check for ammonium. Nt sure how lethal it can be but its worth a shot. I don't think the water is contaminated because all my other fish are in good health and show no signs of stress.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20ppm nitrate

Seeing that everything is within good parameters, I believe it was the nitrates that got to him. He was a wild caught fish so those nitrates are ridiculous for him.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Possibly, but how long did you have this fish?

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Thats unfortunate news lad. My condolences.
Those water quality results are not the best, but usually cichlids can hold up better than other freshwater species. (purely in my experience and not with aspito tho)
Is there a possibility that there were other factors involved? Such as stress from other fish which may also have contributed to ill-health? My severum's were not happy with a red tail shark in the tank. They would hide due to his high activity and chasing, they were displaying clear signs of distress, they stopped breeding, loss of colour, wouldnt eat.
Now, don't get me wrong, i am not saying that it wasn't solely the water quality, and i do know with wild caught fish you have to give them special treatment but just saying that there could also have been a few other factors which may have also contributed.
Taking into consideration i have no idea of you're tanks stock. Checked you're profile and could only find "semi Aggressive Cichlid tank"
Anyhow homie. Just giving u some idea's
but all in all Not good news, Hope you cheer up cuz they are a beautiful fish :)
Peace

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
...Those water quality results are not the best, but usually cichlids can hold up better than other freshwater species.....
How low do you keep nitrates in you tanks?!?

I'd be concerned with 20ppm one day after my weekly water change, but if I'm at 20ppm on day 6, I wouldn't call that bad.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Never called it bad, said it aint the best. If its a wild caught fish then it would be deemed as a "sensitive" species. You're taking a specimen out of its natural habitat, where water quality mostly isnt an issue, but fact is fact. Sensitive species do require more attention to water quality. Which would why ktrom is attributing his fishes passing to it.
Discus is another example of a sensitive species.
My impression was that the optimum range of ppm for nitrate for sensitive species was between 5-20ppm
5 -40ppm is optimal for captive bred fish. anything above 60 the fish will last a few days but then cya mate. 20ppm being on the higher end of a sensitive fishes water parameters.
Now, for me, when it comes to sensitive fish such as discus, in the past i have tried quite hard to keep it below 20pmm, whether i was successful or not, if i was at the higher end of the scale. I would know that there would be a chance that water quality might be a factor in the fishes health.
There is literature out there stating optimal nitrate levels for all freshwater tanks is 5-10.
But my point of my comment was that even though this could be a massive factor especially for a wild caught fish, there might be other issues.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Possibly, but how long did you have this fish?
I've had him since April.
Maybe he was stressed from the movement of my T. Espei school. Not sure of that though. Still doing a little investigation on this. He showed no signs of stress the day before or just hours before his death.

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Hmm, T.Espei. Couldn't really see them doing any harm.
Only way i would attribute them to have an influence is if they swarmed his territory repeatedly.
That would annoy me if i was a fish.
so dunno bruz, if he was stressed he probably would have not been eating.
Keep at it,
Will you be getting a replacement?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Hmm, T.Espei. Couldn't really see them doing any harm.
Only way i would attribute them to have an influence is if they swarmed his territory repeatedly.
That would annoy me if i was a fish.
so dunno bruz, if he was stressed he probably would have not been eating.
Keep at it,
Will you be getting a replacement?
I dont know if I'll be getting another centerpiece. Maybe just more T. Espei.

While I was looking into it yesterday, I that I sprayed my room with Ferber for my sheets. I figure that's the issue. My T. Espei are captive bred so they must be more "hardy" so to speak. Did 2 50% water changes today. Gonna do 2 more tomorrow and the day after to make sure I get any lingering febreze.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store