plants that crayfish won't eat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jay_S

I can do it ... hold my beer.
Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
hi I am asking the crayfish keepers out there if they have any knowledge of which live plants won't be decimated by crayfish. I have been searching the interweb :silly: for a couple of weeks on this topic and have yet to find any-thing more than "mabey java moss and fern" or "try floating plants"

I like the idea of a fast growing floating plant "no3 control" and to dim the aquarium underneath for the fishes.

On a personal note right now i am on a low fund cycle so it is time for research :dance2:. So any info on this issue would be much appreciated especially search querrie strings or links to info or personal info.

thank you for reading this and any help/ info given

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) There are no plants a crayfish will not eat--except maybe plastic ones.

2) A fast growing floating plant == water-sprite.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
what about DWARF cray fish?i know regular cray fish will eat every plant but what about dwarf crayfish?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
what about DWARF cray fish?i know regular cray fish will eat every plant but what about dwarf crayfish?
I have "heard" that some dwarf crays do not eat plants, but I am not sure. I have a dwarf cray in a small 3.5 gal, and it eats all plants.

Jay_S

Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
Yeah that is about what I figured and, they figured out how to catch floating plants. So it looks like I will need to set up my tank modularly.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I have "heard" that some dwarf crays do not eat plants, but I am not sure. I have a dwarf cray in a small 3.5 gal, and it eats all plants.
i think it is because it is in to small of a tank.i am getting a dwarf orange one and are giving him a cozy 10 gallon tank to call home.plenty of space for him.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
My Marble crayfish don't touch java moss and have a hard time with duckweed. They have an interesting behavior or harvesting duckweed from the surface, but can't eat it all. My baby crayfish hang on the bottom of the duckweed and use the same behavior listed above to eat flake food.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yeah java moss i thought so,if i was a dwarf crayfish i would not taste that.i think it would taste like brussels.

Jay_S

Dec 22, 2014
queens
Real Name
Real Name
I just ordered and recieved some marimo "moss balls" and the crayfish tried to eat them but, though they seemed to like the taste, were unable to eat it. now they push them around. It was hilarious since i got the small balls (1\elieve2") to watch them each try to hoard three then chase the other one for the rest.

Any way for the record 6 1/2" marimo + 2 crawdads orange (p. clarkii i believe) = 6 1/2" extra fuzzy but intact balls.

Duckweed is on my list to try as soon as i get some more funds.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Duckweed is on my list to try as soon as i get some more funds.
More funds?? You want to buy duckweed?? Someone may send you some for free.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store