90 gallon stocked... for now.... input?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
we've stocked our 90 gallon.... and i've done it to the best of my knowledge. (and trying to cope with a newbie boyfriend who wants the 'coolest' fish).

i'll list in order of what we put in...

5 zebra danios (mostly for cycling purposes.. might be taken out soon)
2 synodontis featherfin catfish
2 bala sharks
1 ghost knife (grrr he's disappeard and been gone for a week... dead or hiding?)
2 angels
2 geophagus jurapi (sp?)
2 weather loaches (he wanted some sort of eel-like thing.... we found these for now..... i cant stand them).
1 pleco *note about him at the bottom
10 cardinal tetras (he wanted a large school of tetra.... i warned the angels and geos might eat them when they get older... but cardinals had the coolest colors so we got them anyways).

*pleco- he's been floating around today. floating at the surface and in the current and not really swimming very well. not sucking onto anything. we have lotsa algae and a nice big log for him to sit on.... and its been about 5 days since we put him in. i added an algae tablet for him so he shouldn't be starving. what's the deal? i assume he will die soon..... what do you think caused this? tank has been running for over a month..... and was started with established filter spounge from my tank.

do you think i will have problems with the cardinals being eaten later on?

do ghost knifes hide constantly... or is it most likely he's dead? its been a week or so since we last saw him. the tank has lots of large rocks and large subtrate and big logs.... so lots of hiding places.

this strange mix of fish was the result of him wanting to do oddball fish, cichlids, and a community planted tank. i told him he can't have it all.... so this is the mix we came up with.

we plan on adding some clown loaches as well.... because he really likes them.

i guess i dont really have any particular questions... just any input would be appreciated. thanks!

-Diana

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
The only thing I can help you with is the Black Ghost Knife. I had one for a while.. Really cool fish to look at. He was shy at first, but slowly, he would end up showing up every so often.
If you have lots of hiding places, chances are he is alive, and just hiding out in the day. Do this.... At night, turn on a little lamp, and feed the ghost nife some frozen food.. (blood worms, whatever)... you should see him coming out in no time...

Good luck.

travelinman1969

AC Members
Oct 23, 2003
Lost Nation, IA
Visit site
Anytime a pleco has acted like that, I've never seen one live. Sometimes they just don't adapt to the new tank. Sorry.

What are the water conditions?

The knife is probably hiding. They do that a lot during the day.

Watch out on the clown loaches. They will get really big and you really want em in at least a school of 3.

Those weather loaches will get really big too.

You have a lot of bottom feeders, not sure I would add clowns at this point.

The angels will have a heck of a time with the tettras when the time comes. :shake:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
yeah i'm hoping growning them up together might help a little.... cus i keep my angel with tiny rasboars and she's fine.

i guess it depends on the fish.

we might hold off on the clowns for a while. but the tank has LOTS of hiding places so they would be very happy. we'll see. there is so much activity in the tank now.... i'm very surprised its so noticeable in a 90 gallon.

anywho, thanks guys.... hopefully we'll spot the ghost knife soon.

ps- and the pleco died. i tried adding two to my african tanks previsouly and they both did the same thing. i might give up on them... much too sensitive.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Its possible that the conditions the plecos are kept in at your LFS are different from yours. Do you know what the water condition at your LFS is? If it is radically different from your tank's water, you can always try drip acclimilation (or a variation of which) for any future plecos. Since the fish I get aren't exactly the most sensitive things, I usually just float the bag in the tank for 30 minutes, aftewards, I add 1/4 cup of water into the bag every 15 minutes, until the bag is full... then I empty half the bag, and add in 1/2 cup of water till the bag is full. After which, I dump as much water out of the bag as possible, and put the fish into the tank. I find this method reduces initial shock to the fish... and every fish I've tried this method on seem to get use to the tank much faster.

What is the footprint of your tank? If its like your standard 90 gallon tank, I'd hold off on the clown loaches. People suggest 3 loaches... but personally, I like seeing groups of at least 5. Though slow growers, they have the potential to grow to lengths of about 12 inches. Since you have other bottom dwellers in your tank, I personally don't think there's enough surface area for clowns.

Keep in mind this advice comes from a person who likes to stock lightly. More often than not, people look into my tanks and don't notice any of my fish because its so lightly stocked. Many new visitors who don't know much about aquaria always ask the same question... "Why do you keep a tank with nothing but plants and water?" As an aquarist, I think its my job to keep my fish in conditions that I would want to live in, if I was that fish. This usually translates to, larger schools (if the fish is a schooling fish), and lots of room for the fish (among other things like filtration, lights, etc.). I stock my tanks according to the potential maximum size a fish can reach. The possibility that the fish may not reach that size does not affect my judgement.

-Richer

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
yeah i think its a standard 90. i'm gonna take pics of it with my digi soon.... its a very neat looking tank.

the clown loaches would definatley have thier own places to hide.... but i agree with you that there might not be enough room for them. we wanted the clowns before we decided on the weather loaches.... and i guess we will have to settle for those instead. (man they are ugly!).

i use the drip system to accumulate fish at my house... but we didnt have the tubing at his place so we did the float bag, add a little water every 10 mins trick. but yeah mr.pleco didn't like it.

he was fine for several days though... which is strange.

B

BigFishDude

awwww, weather loaches aren't that bad :) They are kinda cool once they grow on you. They will suck at the glass just above your water level to get whatever dried food you might have up there and make sucking noises. Mine would also suck on my finger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store