General aquarium question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
Need help deciding on what tank I should get, new 29g or a used 37g someone is selling locally ($65). Any thoughts?

Thanks,

From what I can think:

29g: Pros: new tank, possibly cheaper Cons: no hood/light, no substrate/plants/decoration, no filter
37g: Pros: full setup (tank/light/filter/heater) Cons: not new, risk of potential issues

Last edited:

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
I'd rather get the 37 because I just like the exta gallons it would provide. It also may possibly be longer than the 29 for more side to side swimming room for the fish. Is the 37 set up already? Or if not maybe they would let you fill with water on site to see if any leaks or anything. Course the 29 could be a good option too so you can choose what filters/equipment etc. you want.

What you going to put in the new tank?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Bigger is always better.

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
I'd rather get the 37 because I just like the exta gallons it would provide. It also may possibly be longer than the 29 for more side to side swimming room for the fish. Is the 37 set up already? Or if not maybe they would let you fill with water on site to see if any leaks or anything. Course the 29 could be a good option too so you can choose what filters/equipment etc. you want.

What you going to put in the new tank?
The tank is already set up, he's including 2 fish and all the plants in the deal as well.

As for what I am planning to put in it, I have a blue Gourami and a Tiger Barb now :) My options are open

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you're planning live plants, the 37 will prove more difficult to light appropriately.

You may also find that the small footprint:volume ratio limits your fish choices a little more (I know the footprint is the same...)

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
The other Con for the 37g is that the back is mirrored... not sure I'd be a fan of that

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
The tank is already set up, he's including 2 fish and all the plants in the deal as well.

As for what I am planning to put in it, I have a blue Gourami and a Tiger Barb now :) My options are open
the gouramis fins will most likely be bitten down to a nub(exaggerating a bit) with hem tiger barbs.
and why just get one when you can get both?:)mts is like a disease,dont fight it just give in

kimbog

AC Members
Aug 22, 2009
the gouramis fins will most likely be bitten down to a nub(exaggerating a bit) with hem tiger barbs.
and why just get one when you can get both?:)mts is like a disease,dont fight it just give in
To clarify, it's one Tiger Barb, and he seems to be in check till this point :)

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
oh yeah,i hear that if it's only one then it's usually pretty chill.buy more then they will start nipping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store