Yet another stocking question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Okay, I have a 20gal long *heavily* planted tank with 1 Florida Flag Fish and 3 Otocinclus. Until recently I had 2 FFF, but the bigger one picked on the smaller one a lot and I think the fish passed from stress.

My question is this: what else could you suggest for stocking?

I was thinking some Endler's would be cool, but I'm afraid of them breeding too much and I don't want to keep just males.

So, what do you think?

I'd like small fish that will do well in Indiana water. My pH is about 7.4 with CO2 injection. Water is hard (don't know exact number), no ammonia, no nitrites, very very low nitrates. Man, I love planted tanks. They're so much better than "conventional" filtration.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I assume you don't want tetars for some reason. They can do fine in your water and there are endless amounts to pick from. But if you don't like them then there is always the exciting cherry barb. Stays on the small side, aggressive within their community (try keeping at least five) and are quite attractive fish.

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Originally posted by TKOS
I assume you don't want tetars for some reason. They can do fine in your water and there are endless amounts to pick from. But if you don't like them then there is always the exciting cherry barb. Stays on the small side, aggressive within their community (try keeping at least five) and are quite attractive fish.
Well, the thing is that when I was a teenager I worked at a great pet store and I've been into aquariums since I was 13 or so. I'm mostly just looking for a fish I've never kept before that's somewhat interesting.

Your idea of 5 cherry barbs is very intriquing. That sounds very nice. I've kept every other kind of barb, but no cherries.

I'm also very concerned about overstocking my tank since the only biological filtration I have is my plants. Granted I've got it pretty darn full with plants, but I don't want to introduce too much at any given time.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You have no other filter or source of water movment? Even water flow over the gravel in the tank will be biological filtration as this is where a lot of bacteria lives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store