These stockings good for my tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I recently bought quote a bit of fish this week the last being a large group of cories, otos, tetras, and rams. Gotta love xmas money.

Heres what I have for both tanks.

37g:
Pearl gourami pair
4 pepper cories
4 Juili Cories
4 Celebes Rainbows (adding 2-4 more)
4 Purple Kerri Tetras
3 SA Bumblebee Cats
4 Amano Shrimps

20g:
Bolivian ram pair
12 neons
7 albino glo lights
5 otos
2 loaches, black kuhli and hillstream

The 37 has two filters running, Aquaclear 50 and Aquoen 20. The 20 has a Marineland Penguin 200 Bio wheel running.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
im not sure on the 37,but i know the 20 gallon is a bit high.what are the water changes on that tank and how often?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO--The 20 is OK, but at max. Only the Rams will have a big bio-load.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
so a five gallon water change on the twenty gallon?i change 10 gallons on my 20 gallon 2 times a week and im over stocked more then you.i think you might be better off if you could do a 10 gallon water change one or twice a week.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I work full time and only can get to it once a week. I also test my water, no ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates with every test. I havent lost a fish in my 20 in a long while, neons are happy and are super bright blue. I have my tanks sanded so a larger water change would kick up the sand into the filter and cause my plants to float up.

Wizard, what do you have in your 20? Theres 28 fish in mine. I also know what I'm doing, I'm not a newbie in this hobby.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i didn't say you were a newbie.i have looked you up a few times and i know you know what your doing.
i know what im doing and you know what your doing,lets just leave it as that so none of us get hurt,mad,or worse.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Lol @ evilwizard - who gets hurt on this type of forum? Nvm.

I wouldn't do a 50% twice weekly on any tank unless it had 0 filtration.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I work full time and only can get to it once a week. I also test my water, no ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates with every test...
I'm not trying to ruffle the experts here.. (kidding!) but what does low nitrates mean to you and do you measure for GH and KH?

Low nitrates to me is never seeing any red on the API master test kit, which means 20ppm or less.

Doing smaller weekly water changes puts you at risk at shifting your GH, KH and ultimately pH to levels dangerous to your fish.

Also, just curious why you would routinely measure for ammonia and nitrites on an established tank. You should never see either, unless you're troubleshooting a tank issue or you suspect things have gone haywire.

You can have all the filtration in the world, and it's not going to prevent you from having to do water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store