100w heater in 5g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
I have an Aqueon 100w heater that is not being used in my community tank, and I am setting up a new 5-gallon tank for a betta and shrimp. Can I use the spare 100w heater in a tank this small without any problems? If not, I'll just buy a 25w heater. Thanks for any input.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would absolutely not use a 100w heater in a 5gal tank. That sucker could make a 5gal pot of soup.

FWIW, I don't use larger than a 200w heater in my 75 and 55g tanks. My 10g has a 25w.

atreis

AC Members
Nov 24, 2013
SW Ohio
Only if you're looking to make tea.... Or perhaps bouillabaisse...

Aside from the danger of malfunctions turning the tank into soup VERY quickly, it's so over sized that even with it working correctly the tank will suffer temperature swings every time it turns on - after it turns off, there's some residual heat that will still be dispersed into the water. There's so little water relative to amount of heat that the tank will warm considerably above the set point. Then it'll fall... Then it'll turn on again... repeat... Not good for the inhabitants.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Only if you're looking to make tea.... Or perhaps bouillabaisse...

Aside from the danger of malfunctions turning the tank into soup VERY quickly, it's so over sized that even with it working correctly the tank will suffer temperature swings every time it turns on - after it turns off, there's some residual heat that will still be dispersed into the water. There's so little water relative to amount of heat that the tank will warm considerably above the set point. Then it'll fall... Then it'll turn on again... repeat... Not good for the inhabitants.

I agree. It would be boil, stop, boil, stop===dead tank.

msquared

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
St. Charles, Missouri
Okay, there is obvious consensus on this matter. I had a feeling this was the answer I would get. I will get a 25w heater for it instead. I still have a spare 20g tank that can be used as a quarantine tank or maybe a shrimp or feeder breeding tank, and the 100w can go in that if it's ever needed. Thanks for the tech, folks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store