how long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aprillynn

Registered Member
Dec 21, 2014
hi i have a fresh water 36 gal we put API quick start, old plants from my 4 month old 10 gal [3]. how long will it take to cycle?:confused::) PS I'm 10 on my moms account and what goes with good zebra danios

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The cycle needs ammonia as a food source. No ammonia, no cycle. I'd add the zebra danios to this 36g and measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily with your API Master Test Kit. You don't want to see any ppm (parts per million) ammonia or nitrite with fish in the tank and you do water changes if you do see them, along with your normal weekly water change schedule.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The cycle needs ammonia as a food source. No ammonia, no cycle. I'd add the zebra danios to this 36g and measure for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate daily with your API Master Test Kit. You don't want to see any ppm (parts per million) ammonia or nitrite with fish in the tank and you do water changes if you do see them, along with your normal weekly water change schedule.
^^ This.

Also, if you can move some of the filter media from the 10 into the 36 it will save you an awful lot of time too.

The bacteria colony will roughly double in size every day or so, so it will grow quickly, If you add fish, just feed sparingly and test the water and you'll be cycled before you know it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store