My Geophagus aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Hey everyone, my tanks been up and running since october and I just would like to share its progress. Its a 120 gallon with a 180g rated filter and a 950gph powerhead. The tank is planted and I do biweekly waterchanges of around 20%. Until quite recently it was just community fish to mature the aquarium and until I could actually locate Geos (and the awesome boxing week sale discounts on livestock) I have a small group of harlequins, some livebearers, 2 moonlight gourami and a true siamese algae eater.

A few weeks ago I had a chance find at an LFS, a jurapari that someone traded in. in just 3 weeks hes gone from this

to this

hes actually very nicely golden colored and All the pics I can find of actual Juraparis and not Leucosticta are more brown.

I picked up the rest of my stock yesterday all at around 2" - 3.5" and I will swap out or upgrade their home as needed

3x 1.5"-2" Acarichthys Heckelii
4x 2"-3.5" Wild red head geophagus Tapajós
5x "Surinamensis" unidentified Altifrons complex Geos

Here are a few pictures
the heckelii are still in their ugly coloration phase, I could have got larger ones for double the price but these guys are the same size as 80% of the fish i purchased.

The Unidentified Geos

and the Tapajós, mostly just pictures of the alpha male

a bunch of small dull geos

thanks for looking

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks nice!!! Cute!!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great fish!

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks guys, been anticipating this set up for months and to finally get all my stock for a great price is just too good. I can't wait to see how they turn out

wienerdog

AC Members
Jan 20, 2011
Where are you located? I have a pair of jurupari satanoperca, around 5-7"s. I am willing to relocate for free if you are nearby. Only because they are my favorite fish and a species only tank is very cool, Id love to see them in a juru/geo aquarium. they now live with a discus.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Unfortunately I have a feeling that Calgary Alberta is going to be too far away from you? Most members seem to be from US east and west coast

do you have any pictures of them? I can`t wait til my jurupari gets that big

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Great mix of fish. Can't wait to see what they look like all grown up in a couple of years. Be patient and they will reward you.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you very much, I can't wait either its nice to have a set up i can just sit back and enjoy long term. And you know if I feel they are overcrowded 2 years down the line I will buy a larger aquarium. So far they are all doing great, the Heckelii are pigs and get to the food first, No clue on how to sex the redheads as I have heard a lot of people having fish that appeared to be colorful males actually turning out to be females. all my fish have nice full bellys so thats always good, I added some more plants today, they seem to really appreciate the plants but I am aware most of them come from areas without heavy plants.

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I just took some new pictures thought I would update now its been about a week
Red heads

Unknown Geos (would appreciate an ID if possible)

The fattest and least mottled patterned Heckelii, These guys are growing a lot faster than the geos

group shot and tank shot

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Beautiful setup! I've always wanted to try keeping Geos. That's a great selection you've picked, good luck with them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store