What Gender are my Australian Rainbow Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kzgash

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2014
Recently I bought a twenty nine gallon fish tank (I'm somewhat new to the hobby) and put two Australian Rainbow fish, a Blue Ram Cichlid, and two peppered Cory Catfish. I'm planning on putting in two or three more Australian Rainbow Fish but first wanted to know there genders. Also could someone give me some suggestions on what genders the other Australian Rainbow Fish should be? (If you want better quality pictures just msg me and I will get them).

20141229_191708.jpg 20141229_014828.jpg

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
Hey, I have had a few rainbows in the past, and there are a few ways that you should combine to sex them as many times just one won't work
1. Coloration. Females tend to bee a lot more pale and bland in coloration whereas males can have more striking colors
2. Dorsal fin. females will have a shorter front dorsal males will have larger one, usually nearing or overlapping the second dorsal
3. Shape. When the are fully mature and then some, the males will become almost discus shaped (but not quite as exaggerated) and the females will tend to get longer and more streamlined.

take into account that these methods usually work better when the fish are mature and higher quality breed. Which if you plan on breeding them, will need to be a factor. Hope that helps! :)

laxdude

AC Members
Jan 29, 2015
VA
also I wouldn't advise keeping corys with a ram. when the ram matures that might not be a good combination....

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
I have australian rainbowfish. The males are more colorful, and have the yellowish fins, whereas the females are not as colorful, and have reddish fins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store