Black Skirt Tetra - Swimming Vertically

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SimFish

AC Members
Dec 28, 2012
I've got a black skirt tetra that has been swimming vertically for several months. He just bobs up and down all day and night long never stopping. We thought he was just being a weirdo until we realized he was doing it all night also.

I've read some different ideas online about swim bladder so I'm not sure if that could be something? I don't really notice anything other then that and him being too thin at this point (he does eat though). He's always more of the black color then gray which I believe is when they are scared or have health issues going on.

Thanks for any advise. I'll try to post full water parameters tomorrow but I don't think they are too bad. About 74-76 degrees. Never ending algae bloom issue but it's not too bad at the moment. Think the rest will come up in the clear.

Other then this our fish have been pretty content for quite a while. We only have these 2 black skirt tetras, a zebra, and a now HUGE algae eater (think I bought the wrong one as it keeps growing...LOL). It's a 10 gallon tank. Thanks!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Generally, tetras need to be in a group to be comforable. IMO, you dont have enough of them. Problem is, you're space limited with a 10g.

devonb

AC Members
Dec 29, 2014
Yea, if it's a common algae eater - give it away now. It will outgrow that 10 gallon extremely fast. It's probably contributing to your algae problem more than helping it anyways. Like what Joel said, you should get more black skirts - or downsize to a smaller fish. Anyways, try feeding it a pea just make sure to take off the shell of the pea first. If it's a swim bladder issue, the pea will fix that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store