sunsun canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hey guys! Been a while since I've been on, but I needed to ask about a canister filter for a friend. It's a sunsun filter rated for 75g and has a uv filter. It's for a 55g that will have 10 hatchets, 5 angels, 30 tetras of some sort, and 5 corys. She wants the uv because it's going to be in front of a window and she wants a reliable filter that she can trust when she isn't around. It's going in a church so she will only be there 2 days a week so I understand the reliability issue. I would personally go for a Rena XP-M, but that's a little much for her. Does anyone have experience with one?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had a Sunsun 302 running on my 55g for about 2yrs. No issues. That's a pretty large stocking level on your friend's tank. Hopefully it gets regular water changes.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
It will. She's a clean freak so she will keep it good an clean. Good to know the filter will be reliable. What are your thoughts on auto feeders? I just realized that since she will only be there twice a week they won't get fed enough.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've never used an auto-feeder and I'm not sure I would. With exception of babies, fish can go a very long time w/out food. If she feeds them the 2x a week and has a reliable source for 1-2 more feedings, that would be plenty for a basically unsupervised tank.

This is really not an ideal situation if the primary caretaker can only get to the tank 2x/week.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Apparently the pastor is aiming to be at the church everyday so the feeder won't be necessary. However, what you said make me feel better about my own tanks because I haven't been feeding them 6 days on one day off like normal. Does your canister have the uv light in it?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I've even gone down to a 5 day feeding schedule on my 55 because of the piglets in that tank.

No, my Sunsun 302 is a basic 3-tray model with no UV light. IMO, the UV lighting in these are more of a gimmick than anything. Too much water bypasses the light for it to be very effective. I'd say if the deal is right and it has the light, fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one with UV.

FWIW, I just broke down and cleaned my Sunsun 302 yesterday. Hadn't done it in 6-8months. I keep two layers of sponge in the bottom and middle tray, then a bunch of different bio media in the top. Anyway.. it came apart and went back together perfectly. I cleaned all the seals and re-applied some silicone grease to them, filled it with dechlorinated water, buttoned it back up and put it back into service. It primed and took-off right away (when you pre-fill them). The 302 is too small by itself for a 55. You'd need two or more. I also have a pair of Aquaclear 70s on this tank along with the 302.

svf

Jul 14, 2006
Falls Church, VA
www.madoboe.com
Real Name
Susan
Camera Used
My cell phone.
This may seem like a stupid question, but won't the angels eat the tetras? And then start fighting once they pair off? I've kept both for a few years and have had the most success if either the angels and tetras were in separate tanks, or the tetras were too big and fast for the angels to catch.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
More than one angel, even a single one could get nasty. You never know. I've got a big goofy koi angel that could have eaten a few of his/her tankmates, but it's never happened. On occasion he'll shove others away from his spot in the aquarium.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
In my 75 I had 10 neons, 10 harlequin rasboras, 10 red phantoms, 3 cories, 5 angels and a rope fish. No one has eaten anyone else and the angels do fine together. I have had the tank set up for over a year. I have had the angels since they were juveniles though which I would like to think attributes to that. None of the angels really get territorial, but occasionally they will pick at each other and then move on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store