Some what starting all over :-(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Hi Guys,

Its been awhile since I posted. Only have my betta Cosmos, and 2 nerite snails in my 20 gallon.

He is aggressive with other fish do I bought 10 gallon in the Petco $1 per gallon sale. So i'm going to put him there and restock my 20 gallon tank.

My 20 gallon high is still "planted", fully cycled with my AquaClear 50. Can I put this new stock list without being overstock:

5 black neon tetras
5 cherry barbs
5 panda corydoras (going to give them another try, wish me luck)
1 curviceps
2 nerite snails

I do weekly 50% water changes.

Thank you,
Patty

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Hi Patty, glad to see you back.

Use this to decide if you're overstocked or not: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I didn't plug in your choices but you may be a little high. If you're looking for schooling, I'd eliminate the cherry barbs as they don't seem to school very well then you may be able to add some more black neons which do.

Let us know how it turns out.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes! Glad to see you back PC!

I too would probably skip the barbs and up the number of tetras and corys to 7-8/ea and then a center piece fish.

10's are perfect for a mail betta or a group of female bettas. Run a sponge bubbler filter or a small Aquaclear like an AC30.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Hi Patty, glad to see you back.

Use this to decide if you're overstocked or not: http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I didn't plug in your choices but you may be a little high. If you're looking for schooling, I'd eliminate the cherry barbs as they don't seem to school very well then you may be able to add some more black neons which do.

Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks Royw,
I plugged in my stock list on AqAdvisor. It says I'm 94% stocked.

Yes! Glad to see you back PC!

I too would probably skip the barbs and up the number of tetras and corys to 7-8/ea and then a center piece fish.

10's are perfect for a mail betta or a group of female bettas. Run a sponge bubbler filter or a small Aquaclear like an AC30.
Thanks Freshy!

My family wants cherry barbs but I want black neon tetra. So got to get bought.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I hear you. Gotta make everyone happy!

Sorry about the 'mail betta'. LOL.. awesome spelling on my part.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
One question for you guys! Since I'm transferring my betta to the 10 gallon, Can I put this new stock list all at the same time in the soon to be empty 20 gallon?

5 black neon tetras
5 cherry barbs
5 panda corydoras (going to give them another try, wish me luck)
1 curviceps

My reasoning is that it would be if I just finished cycling, so I may add the full new stock list.

What worries me now is that my new 10 gallon was going to be my quarantine tank?

It messed up that my betta is aggressive! :-( Would had loved for him to be my centerpiece!

Thank you,
Patty

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I never stock a tank fully at once. The filter may not be up to the max load put on it so quickly. Also, I try to always quarantine new arrivals for 30 days. Possibly you can house the betta in some temporary vessel while you stock the 20 gal, one species at a time, and use the 10 for Q tank.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, like Mark says, the amount of beneficial bacteria in the 20g will probably be small due to the very low bio load of a single betta and some snails. If you fully stocked all at once, you could get an ammonia or nitrite spike. You'd probably have to do daily water changes for awhile.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Daily water changes are not that bad if you schedule it for a certain time and can get it done with in about an hour,I speak from experience. I do my water changes at 8:00pm to about 9:00pm during that time i can take out 10 gallons of water from a tank,put in 10 gallons of water from the water change tank*yeah i have a tank just for that*,then i fill the water change tank back up for the next day and even have a little extra time(about 30 mins)for whatever i want to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store