How Big of a Tank Is Needed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zagfuchs

AC Members
Jan 1, 2015
So I would like to start a saltwater tank and I need your assistance to get me going. The first thing I did was go through and research as much as I could about compatibility and I came up with a list of fish that I want to build my tank around. I think they would all work well together in a live coral and invertebrate reef tank. I figure if I came up with the fish I want first, then I can build an environment to suit them better. So the question is, how big of a tank will I need to house the following fish? Please also let me know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions about my choices and try to keep in mind I tried to build this list around the Clownfish.

Ocellaris Clownfish (2)
Princess Anthias (1)
Royal Gramma Basslet (1)
Pajama Cardinalfish (5)
Black Axil Chromis (7)
Firefish (3)
Catalina Goby (1)
Yellow Clown Goby (1)
Neon Blue Goby (1)
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (1)

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
55 or bigger I would say.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
If just for fish a 40+ is OK. Fish and coral, 75 gall at least.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
im not a salt water fish expert but i think that you can only have one type of goby per tank unless it's a huge tank.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
125+ if you want any chance of the firefish and chromis not going all Highlander.. 55 if you dont mind replacing them, 75/90 if you want corals.

zagfuchs

AC Members
Jan 1, 2015
Thank you guys for your input, its greatly appreciated.

125+ if you want any chance of the firefish and chromis not going all Highlander.. 55 if you dont mind replacing them, 75/90 if you want corals.
Do you mean the firefish will fight the chromis, or the firefish will fight with each other and the chromis will fight with each other

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Thank you guys for your input, its greatly appreciated.

Do you mean the firefish will fight the chromis, or the firefish will fight with each other and the chromis will fight with each other
They'll each fight with in their own species till eventually only ones left. I know people who've bought supposed bonded firefish pairs from divers den on liveaquaria and one ended up dead eventually.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
The firefish will fight until two are left not one right? They always go in pairs from my understanding. In the wild they form groups as juveniles and will fight when they reach adulthood. Maybe I got lucky with my pair and they bonded when I put them together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I don't know a friend bought an expensive 'bonded pair' from divers den and they were ok for a couple months then one ended up looking beat up then dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store