Sump Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zipperpi

AC Members
Dec 4, 2013
New Haven, Ct.
All,

I'm in the midst of making the decision to switch over to a sump setup on my 75g (Tired of clutter, pain in cleaning my HOB filters and wanted an increase in overall water volume). The only setups I'm seeing utilize an overflow with the weir located at the surface. Are there setup strategies that have some type of intake located closer to the bottom to aid in detritus removal?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
All sumps are open systems which means the water must be fed by an overflow system. Otherwise the sump would overflow for any of a number of reasons.

Aqueon makes a Reef Ready aquarium with a double wall overflow that has intakes at the bottom, middle, and top and then a second wall that the water must rise up and spill over called the Megaflow. But you would need to replace your aquarium to use it.

There are no retrofit systems that feature a lower intake that I know of.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Why not try a switch to canisters with low suctions and power heads placed low to drive the debri towards them?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Sumps generally have really strong flow rates and you can stir up the bottom enough that detritus goes down the overflow. A typical sump will flow 500gph+ for a 75 gallon tank.

Canisters are better all around for this application. They are quieter, lower maintenance, draw from the bottom, and less expensive. It's hard to make a good argument for a sump unless you are running a marine tank with accessories that sit inside or attach to the sump, or want to put multiple tanks on the same system.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store