Sick Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
I have a buenos aires tetra that has developed what seems to be a case of fin rot, but I don't know if that's what it really is or not. The other day I came home and one of the four that I had was dead, for no apparent reason. So I checked the ammonia level in my tank, and it was around 3.0. I couldn't think of a reason for it to be this high, as this tank has been running for over a year and is well past the cycle stage, but it was. Is it possible that a dead fish could push the ammonia that high, or is there some other possible cause? The next day, I come home and find a second buenos aires is missing. I find that it is lodged behind a rock and it looks like it has some kind of white growth on it's back. I figured that it was dying and had been pushed behind the rock by the current from the filter. However, once I moved the rock to get it out, it swims out like it's fine. I looked at it a little more and couldn't really decide if the white stuff was some kind of growth or missing scales from where this fish got lodged behind the rock. So yesterday, it looked about the same, but today it looks a LOT worse. The condition seems to have taken over the back half of the fish and the top half of it's tail fin looks badly rotted. What is the problem, and how can I or should I treat it? Should I treat the whole tank or quarantine the fish and treat it seperately. None of the other fish show any signs of trouble. After I found the first dead fish I did a water change, and below are the results from when I tested the water this morning. What gives?

Ammonia- .25
Nitrate-80
Nitrite-0
GH-300
KH-120
pH- 8.4

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If this were my tank I would probably use Maracyn to treat it. And I would treat the whole tank at this point. I would also do lots of water changes to keep the water as pure as possible.

The dead fish could have caused the spike and hopefully that is the case. But in case something has affected the benificial bacteria (and I don't know what it could be) you should still be testing each day.

What size tank and how many other fish in total?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The Maracyn is a broad spectrum anti biotic and worked well when my fish had some fin rot. The 55 gallon tank is rather large but one bottle of the meds should be enough. And you don't really want too much med anyway as it has a shelf life. Follow the directions, if you use it, exactly as I can't remember if you have to do daily water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store