Cycling With Fish Day 17 Help!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

utahpezel

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
Hi,
Just got back into the hobby after being away for about ten years. I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions. My 36 gallon has been set up for 17 days now and I have been doing water readings every 2-3 days. I added 3 tiger barbs around day 2 (I know I wish I would have done fishless cycling, but local shop swore this was the way to go). The fish have seem to be pretty healthy and these are the water readings I keep getting, with little to no change:

Ammonia - .25ppm (sometimes veering towards .50ppm, but not quite there)
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Used the API master test kit

I changed around 10-12 gallons of the water on day 7 and topped off the tank with about 1.5 gallons day 12. De chlorinated the water. When I first set up the tank I added the API quick start bacteria, but have not used it since based on what I have read. I feed the fish two small meals a day and the tank temperature is between 78-80.

Are things going as they should? Am i doing things right? I expected I would see a higher ammonia level by now and some sort of rise in the nitrites.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
36 gal tank..low bio-load depending on how you feed...my experience leads to nitrite taking longer to form....I would switch to 20-25% every 3 days on WCs....

utahpezel

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
Ok, will do. Thanks for the help. Are the more frequent water changes for the sake of the fish, or does it help the bacteria colonize, or both?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The increased frequency is so that ammonia gets diluted before it gets too high.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
So does the ammonia getting to high inhibit the cycle?
I've read that if it gets above 5 ppm it can inhibit the cycle, but that's up in the lethal range for the fish. Keeping ammonia below .5 ppm may extend the cycle time some but will be much less stressful to the fish. I'm thinking that was the reason Bob suggested increasing the frequency of partials.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Utah-, any chance of running some healthy, used filtration bio media from someone else's tank in your new setup? Some sponge or hard bio media, or better yet, a used sponge bubbler filter. You could add more stock and be off and running.

utahpezel

AC Members
Nov 21, 2009
Thanks for the help guys. Talked to a lfs and they are going to take my tiger barbs and let my use one of their old filter medias.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thanks for the help guys. Talked to a lfs and they are going to take my tiger barbs and let my use one of their old filter medias.
That's fine provided the LFS media is out of a tank that doesn't see constant new fish in/out. That being the case, I'd be concerned about disease and/or parasite transmission.

The other issue is, if you're using seeded media, the media needs a "food" source, so you've got to have fish in there to support the cycle.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I've read that if it gets above 5 ppm it can inhibit the cycle, but that's up in the lethal range for the fish. Keeping ammonia below .5 ppm may extend the cycle time some but will be much less stressful to the fish. I'm thinking that was the reason Bob suggested increasing the frequency of partials.

Mark
Yeppers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store