High Nitrites - need to make a plan...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pashari

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2015
Hello -

im having off the chart nitrite readings in my new freshwater tank. It is a 57 gal that has been up and running about 5 weeks. It is stocked although my fish are showing no signs of stress.

i did consider posting this in the newbie section but I am an experienced hobbyist (just one who should have known better).

my tank has been running successfully for the past 11 years as a fish only saltwater. We recently had our floors redone which meant dismantling the tank so I thought I'd switch back to freshwater. I researched and debated how to cycle and decided to cycle with fish. My mistake was not monitoring my water parameters more closely but as the fish were not showing any signs of distress and I did not overstock the tank I thought I would be ok.

I decided to take my water to the LFS to get it checked and they advised that I was still cycling. I could see by the color changes my nitrites were super high. They also advised me to do no more water changes and bring another sample to them in a week. I bought my own test kit and did some internet scouring and decided that the best thing to do was to do some water changes until my nitrite levels came down.

Over tha past 24 hours I have done 3 water changes (5 gal, 12 gal, and 12 gal) checking my nitrites after each change. I realize I'm diluting the effect by doing three water changes over 24 hours vs 1 large change but 12 gallons is the most I can do at one time without shutting off the filters (2 Magnum HOT canisters) and from my reading I really do not want to stop the filters and take the chance of disrupting and/or interfering with any bacteria colonization.

So what do I do? Do I continue to do water changes until the readings show improvement? Should I get some bacteria additive to help the process along? Should I add some salt to help the fish (who, again, are showing no outward signs of stress). Or should I simply do nothing and let the cycle complete on its own?

I also have a UGF along with the two cannisters. My tank temp is at 81. Ammonia was initially between 0 and .25/ppm. Nitrate was between 0 and 5/ppm. pH is around 7.2.

Thanks for for any thoughts/suggestions.

lisa

ps. I did check my water source and nitrite levels were zero.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Liquid test kit? Do water changes to keep it close to nil....

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Stopping the filters for a water change won't affect anything....

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
Beneficial Bacteria for the win.
Douse that bad boy in conjunction with water changes and that should help with the process. I use ammitrite down to kick start the cycling of my tanks + water changes, but that products in Australia so i am unsure what the equivalent is where ever you are. It has bacteria to aid in the nitrogen cycle and the break down of these chemicals. Read the back. Ask Youre LFS dude, and yeah. Hopefully this helps.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
High nitrite is harmful to fish, so I'd do daily water changes until under .25ppm. A small amount of table salt might help until your bacteria catch up (see brown blood disease for dosage)...What fish do you have? Some are more affected than others but anything over .25 ppm is very hard on any fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store