Can you insulate to keep your room cooler?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

matseski

AC Members
Jan 13, 2015
I recently set up a 120g aquarium in my 800sqft apartment to much disdain from my girlfriend. She now loves the tank, but hates having to open windows in January to keep our apt below 75F...apparently this creates an unacceptable temperature gradient in our living room with it being about 60-65F on the couch in order for the kitchen to stay around 72-73F. Our apt is very well insulated, and we typically only turn our heat on when outside temperatures are in the single digits (I guess our neighbors all around us keep their places warm). Previously our apt was about 68-70 throughout the winter months which we found very comfortable. Fortunately, adding a tank has only increased our electric bill by about $20/month, but I am wondering if I can reduce that by better containing the heat that is escaping the aquarium which we end up having to let out of the apt.

Some details on the system:
120g display, glass, back painted, 3 sides visible
55g sump, glass
total system ~150-160g
4x56W T5HO lighting, on for 7 hours/day
Custom made stand and canopy enclosed in 3/4" plywood. Each has 1 120cm fan, 1 120cm exhaust, and 2 1.5" diameter wire portals.
The front door on the stand and canopy hinged area are sealed with weather stripping to prevent light seeping out the small gaps.
All crevasses were caulked to avoid water ending up where it was not supposed to.
The fans are on a fan controller and set to the lowest rpm to provide circulation to avoid mold, but to keep evaporation and heat loss to a minimum.
2x200W heaters set to 76F

I am looking for some input as to what may have worked for you, or if you have any experience with any of my ideas to deal with this problem.

Ideas under consideration
1) Line stand, canopy, sump, and back of aquarium with foam.

2) Unplug either or both fans (canopy and stand)

3) Cover exhaust ports so less hot air escapes

Any suggestions?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Insulation of the aquarium will do nothing as you have fans actively cooling the canopy. The heat will just escape from the fan vents.

Keep in mind that you want oxygen to get into your aquarium so the water can exchange CO2 and oxygen. A tightly sealed aquarium is a death sentence to fish as oxygen levels drop and pH crashes.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Agreed.

That's a lot of aquarium for 800sq/ft. Coupled with ~224 watts of T5 fluorescents giving off heat and ~400 watts of aquarium heaters. If humidity is an issue, you'll be lucky to keep the drywall intact in the place (if so equipped). I dunno if ducted portable dehumidifiers exist (like those portable roll-around air conditions you see), but that would be an option. Of course that would raise your electric usage considerably.

Glass versa-tops would help contain the heat/humidity.

matseski

AC Members
Jan 13, 2015
Hmmmm. While it is not a huge problem now since I am in Atlanta where the winters are very mild, but I am worried for this coming summer when I will be fighting to air condition my apartment which what amounts to a running a space heater at the same time.

Ive had the tank running for about 3 months now and so far humidity has not seemed to be an issue. I loose about 3/4 gallon of water per day through evaporation so I will keep an eye on things. There is no condensation in the stand and have it exhausted through the sides so hopefully it can dissipate the humidity without affecting the drywall.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I suggest installing a cover on the sump and the tank if you don't have them.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Consider LED lighting too.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For sure on the LED lighting.

Foam board insulation on the sides/back might help, but like said, w/out glass tops on all tanks, you're not going to slow down heat and moisture transfer appreciably.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I thought about this last night and came up with some really good answers to this question. By the time I got to the computer I saw that Freshy and Dougall beat me to them. LED's if you can afford them. Less bulbs in your fixture if you can't. Foam insulation on the back and sides (if it doesn't interfere with viewing). I have insulated inside of my stands in the past as it drastically cuts down on noise. It is important to leave enough ventilation so you don't start growing stuff under there but it seems your stand is a great one and has that built in already. If you end up buying a 4x8' sheet of insulation you'll have way more than enough to spare.

What are you keeping in your tank? If it turns out to be fancy goldfish or something there are some very obvious easy answers to cooling it all down.

Can you post a picture? It is always fun to see what we are talking about.

matseski

AC Members
Jan 13, 2015

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
What kind of fish tank pictures are those? You have those pictures set as adult and as such they can't be viewed without logging in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store