Discus and water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi again,

In a 75 gallon tank, if I get 5 discus, and 9 harlequin rasboras and 9 cories, could I get away with weekly water changes of 20%? Or would I need to go with 3 discus for that kind of water change schedule? Or should I give up on discus altogether? I am using a mattenfilter.

I did ask about this tank a number of months ago, and I ended up getting rasboras and that group looks really sharp in the tank when they feel like schooling (most every evening). Somehow the rest of the inhabitants are work in progress. Story of my life, LOL. Life got busy and I have maintained a single weekly water change for several months. My new year's resolution was to ask someone if weekly water changes might be OK for discus rather than just assuming that it would be impossible.

Cheers!

Nate

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Nate, I'm not sure the higher water temps that discus prefer would be ideal for the rasboras and corys. From what I understand, adult discus don't require the spotless water params as young ones do, but you still need to be really diligent for them to thrive. I don't think 20%/wk would be nearly enough.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Freshy's advice is on the right track.
Rasboras & Cories will do ok at the higher discus temps, (although it's not ideal as Freshy said), as it may shorten their life spans somewhat. I've kept both with discus for a few years without problem.

You can get by with weekly wcs, but 20% is quite low - suggest you should do at least 50%, and ensure that you do a thorough tank cleansing and substrate vac each time.

The important proviso for doing only weekly wcs is that you would need to limit yourself to adult, or near adult discus only, and be sure they are healthy fish from a known source for supplying good quality discus.
Your suggested stocking would be fine in a 75 gal tank, just be sure you do proper quarantining.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
P.S., Nate:
Keep your tank temp at no more than 82F and the Cories should do just fine, the Rasboras perhaps a little less so.
Suggest you avoid getting your discus from a LFS. Depending on your location, your best sources for good quality, healthy, well-shaped discus are Hans' Discus in Baltimore, Kenny's Discus in Daly City, Ca., or Chicago discus in Chicago. As mentioned, be sure to get discus of no less than 4" in size, preferably larger. Higher cost, but much less risk of losing expensive fish.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Freshy's advice is on the right track.
Rasboras & Cories will do ok at the higher discus temps, (although it's not ideal as Freshy said), as it may shorten their life spans somewhat. I've kept both with discus for a few years without problem.

You can get by with weekly wcs, but 20% is quite low - suggest you should do at least 50%, and ensure that you do a thorough tank cleansing and substrate vac each time.

The important proviso for doing only weekly wcs is that you would need to limit yourself to adult, or near adult discus only, and be sure they are healthy fish from a known source for supplying good quality discus.
Your suggested stocking would be fine in a 75 gal tank, just be sure you do proper quarantining.
+1

Mark

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
P.S., Nate:
Keep your tank temp at no more than 82F and the Cories should do just fine, the Rasboras perhaps a little less so.
Suggest you avoid getting your discus from a LFS. Depending on your location, your best sources for good quality, healthy, well-shaped discus are Hans' Discus in Baltimore, Kenny's Discus in Daly City, Ca., or Chicago discus in Chicago. As mentioned, be sure to get discus of no less than 4" in size, preferably larger. Higher cost, but much less risk of losing expensive fish.
+2.. btw..Kenny is great to deal with

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
P.S., Nate:
+3 Paul's covered the bases. I can tip my hat to Hans. Fantastic discus & excellent customer service. "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store