Semi - Community with Severum(s) in a 55, or Something else?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BearKLA

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2005
Hi everyone. I've lurked long enough and now I need some advice. My 55g sprung a leak around 8 years ago, and I ended up giving away my Oscar, and let the tank sit all these years. But now, I've removed the old silicone all around, and resealed it (thanks youtube!). I'm testing it now, and it seems fine.

Now, I've been researching Severums, and I really like them. I want to have a nice centerpiece fish(or two), along with some schooling fish, and a bottom feeder.

Although my tank is too small, what I would like is something similar to a 2 Severums, 5 Silver dollars, and a catfish. I really loved my Oscar, and would love to have another one, but this time around, I want to have several fish in the tank, and I'm NOT a fan of tetras, or similar fish. I've been trying to find something that doesn't grow too big, so I can stock more than one, and not too aggressive so I can have tank mates as well.

Please help!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Hello and welcome.

Congrats on getting back into the hobby. It is a wet and slippery slope but worth it.

Your idea sounds great. I do love fully grown severums and they look great and have smaller mouths than most fish their size. They get along great with your silver dollars and there are plenty of appropriately sized catfish.

All that being said, it is time to get forum-ey. What kind of filter do you have?

Best of luck,
Nate

BearKLA

Registered Member
Feb 25, 2005
Thanks Nate. I have my old HOB's but I'm gonna be getting an Eheim, or Fluva this time around. I'm not gonna rush it, so I probably won't be stocking the tank till around March or so. I just didn't want to over do it with so many fish.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I suppose the only thing to do between now and then is put some water in it. I'd still put a couple of goldfish into the tank just to get the cycle started. You can always take them back to the store in March but they will be good for your filters and gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store