20G Tall - Stocking Ideas, General Advice, Etc.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
Hello. My name's Benton.
I actually used to be a very active user on this site back in 2009, but eventually stopped using this forum and got advice from local fish clubs.
However, I remained in the hobby continuously from 2009 through early 2014...and then life backhanded me in the face. Haha!
Now, almost exactly a year since I had to part with my 13 aquariums (3 to 150 gallons), I am returning to the hobby with a lovely thrift store find, a 20G tall (which I got for $5 :perv: ).

I've already purchased the following items for the tank:
Odyssea 24" T5HO 2x24w
Perfecto 24" Glass Canopy
Penn Plax Cascade 200 GPH Filter
20 Pound Bag - Eco Complete
Via Aqua 100 Watt Heater
Plus: thermometers, Prime, nets, siphons, stand, etc.
Not exactly the best products or brands, but they are at least items I'm familiar with. As soon as everything arrives in the mail, cycling will begin.

As mentioned, I've had quite a few aquariums in my possession...and I have cared for various kinds of critters, from danios to Mbuna, and everything between including many plants.
However, my heart was always with my cichlids, and their tanks were the last to be parted with.
So, not being able to get a tank larger than my 20G tall (my place is very small), I obviously can no longer keep Jack Dempsey's, various varieties of Labs or Zebras, etc....
I am finding it hard to figure out my stocking arrangement, which is preventing me from buying my live plants, rocks, woods, etc... since I try my best to make sure the flora and fauna match. I guess you could say I prefer biotope aquariums.

1. So I'm looking for stocking suggestions, in regards for both the fish and the plants. I'm looking for fish that would place well in a planted aquarium, with similar personalities to my cichlids. I am not a fan of schooling fish like tetras, cories, etc.
  2. I would like to know if I should place gravel or sand over the eco-complete after I finish planting, or is that not necessary? I always used other brands as they were cheaper, but they had to be covered to prevent them from shifting.
  3. As for backgrounds, what is your preference? Paint, 3D, the rolled up kind?

Sorry for the wall of text, grammar mistakes, spelling, etc.
Thank you in advance for your advice. :)

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
As for stock. there are Apistos, Rams and Kribensis, all do well In a 20H, but not all together though. Kribs are great cichlids and have a great personality same goes for the rams. Kribensis can be kept in a planted aquarium with community fish like danios, tetras, barbs and others.

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
I have kept Rams in the past, and while wonderful little fish, they always seemed very...shy? They thrived and breed...but they never showed the interest my larger cichlids showed. I got very used to Jack (my Jack Dempsey, with the world's most boring name) coming up to the tank, and he was even hand fed on occasion...As for Kribs and Apistos, I have never personally kept them, but I have done plenty of research. They seem to fit the bill in most areas, especially the Apistos which seem a little more energetic to me....most articles however claim they need a 30 gallon or larger. Would a 20G tall be sufficient?

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Apistos are a dwarf cichlid and can a pair can be kept in a 20H. I have a Bolivian Ram, he's always out and looking for food. Kribs I have kept and they are great active fish! Kribs are African Cichilds, but are a bit calmer then the others.

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
Thank you very much for the suggestions. It seems silly now that I had forgotten about the vast variety of Dwarf Cichlids. Haha!
I think I just got so used to my Mbuna and other large cichlids, I forgot they come in "mini me" size. I appreciate the help. :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
A 20H is a pretty small footprint. Not a whole lot of cichlid options for that IMO. If you want something with a fiesty personality that appreciates plants, how about a group of female bettas?

BenEFurlong

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
In my imagination...
I agree that a 20G tall is not the most accommodating for cichlids. Like I mentioned above, I kept various large varieties for 5 years...which isn't long, but you learn a bit in that time period. I am definitely willing to look into fish that aren't cichlids....But I do want that fast paced, rowdy, playful nature.

I've kept Bettas....let's just say we have a love-hate relationship and that I have sworn never to own one again. Ever. Despite my best efforts, they die almost instantaneously. I don't understand how I am so bad at keeping them....I mean, I have kept Chocolate Gouramis and Discus with better success!

But I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm unaccustomed to such a small tank, since 10 out of the 13 tanks I had back in 2013 were over 55 gallons...I appreciate all the help I can get with this tank.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I know a few other fish that do well in a 20g. Theres the dwarf gourami, pearl gouramis, and bettas to name a few. I would name a few tetras but you stated you don't really like them. Pearl Gouramis are timid shy fish but warm up to you after awhile and do get about 4-5", also quite colorful. I kept a pair in a 20H for awhile till I moved them to a larger tank.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
If your looking for aggressiveness but trying to retain a community tank, a dwarf puffer fits the bill.

Maybe some other fish not truly appreciated in the hobby such as ctenomopa ansorgii, Betta macrostoma ( or just about any Betta for that matter). The best cichlids imp for that footprint would have to be apistogramma agazzizi ( sorry for the butchered spelling).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

GoldieGirl1027

AC Members
Jan 10, 2015
Pacific North-West USA
I also have heard puffers have amazing character! And the smaller varieties such as dwarf puffers would be great for a tank on the smaller side. I personally have never owned one but they might be worth looking into!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store