Broken top brace on 80 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

atariguy

AC Members
May 27, 2008
I used to have a 150 gallon tank in my kitchen, but it started leaking from the bottom one night, and was a disaster to clean up. So I traded it in (under warranty) for an 80 gallon tank. That was probably 10 years ago. About a year ago, when doing a water change, I noticed that the top brace was broken. I didn't think much of it until I refilled the water and realized it was bowing out slightly. So I panicked and emptied some of the water and put a bar clamp on it. I went back to Petsmart and tried to get warranty service, but they don't even carry tanks that size any more. They gave me the manufacturer's info, but the manufacturer claimed they didn't make it after I sent them the information from the sticker on the bottom.

I eventually tried to fix it by using some epoxy, but didn't trust that so I built my own brace using a steel rod with threads on both ends. I attached washers and nuts, and it appears to be holding. But I still don't trust it, after the fiasco with the 150 tank, and have now had the tank 2/3 full for about a year. But I'm not very happy with it that way.

So I'm trying to decide what to do. I've wondered about trying Bondic over the epoxy. I've thought about selling the tank and buying a new one, but can't afford it right now.

Here's some pics of what I've done.

https://plus.google.com/114627218090090466157/posts/JUoHDGEnifi
https://plus.google.com/114627218090090466157/posts/KG4GvZHLfJ8

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Kind of looks like a standard Perfecto 75g to me. Replacement frames can be ordered through LFSs or online. You could try siliconing a section of plexi across the center for a brace.

Those are some seriously crusty looking tops. Eeek.

atariguy

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Yeah, it's been a while since I cleaned it. I forgot to mention that I tried to order a replacement top frame and was told that it was a slightly nonstandard size.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Silicone won't adhere well to plexi. Try that idea but with a piece of glass instead. My 75 Oceanic has a glass brace that Oceanic put on from new. They use to do it instead of a plastic one. I've got a 30 where I broke the center brace and I intend to use the glass brace when I set it up.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
For what it is worth I used a bar clamp on a tank for years but that tank was not in my kitchen. Your steel rod is stronger than the plastic ever was.

If it were mine, I'd probably make a brace (or have one made if you don't have the garage for it) with a strip of metal (non rusting) bent at 90 degrees at each end to hold the tank. I'd Gorilla Glue that sucker to the existing frame and call it more solid than the day it was made. It would barely show since you have the nice canopy already.

The brace would cost less than a new frame and would take a fraction of the time of removing the existing frame and putting the new one on.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
For what it is worth I used a bar clamp on a tank for years but that tank was not in my kitchen. Your steel rod is stronger than the plastic ever was.

If it were mine, I'd probably make a brace (or have one made if you don't have the garage for it) with a strip of metal (non rusting) bent at 90 degrees at each end to hold the tank. I'd Gorilla Glue that sucker to the existing frame and call it more solid than the day it was made. It would barely show since you have the nice canopy already.

The brace would cost less than a new frame and would take a fraction of the time of removing the existing frame and putting the new one on.
I fear that that would still cost more than a simple piece of glass though. And not look as good. Plus the glass brass give a place for a two piece cover to sit.

Finster

AC Members
May 20, 2004
Missouri
Real Name
Joe
Use the glass. Use acetone to clean the area that you will use silicone on. Should last for many years.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
all I did was find an elbow brace(used in framing or fence building) modify it to fit.

use the existing top brace screw the elbow brace or corner brace to the top frame.

I predrilled small holes on the top brace , snugged the L brace over the edge ans put several small sheet metal screws in to attach the brace to the top brace(since most of what you have to deal with is shearing force)..
my tank was a 75 and it's been fine for several years.. it pretty much just re enforces the top frame.

atariguy

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I went to PetSmart today and got the measurements on their current 75 gallon tank. Mine is the same, except a little taller, so it's definitely an 80. I'm still disappointed that PetSmart wouldn't honor their "lifetime" warranty.

I'm considering just filling it the rest of the way up and seeing what happens. The steel brace I made isn't exactly centered, but hopefully that won't be a problem. The repair job I did on the center brace will hopefully offset it. I guess I've mostly been wondering if fix jobs other than replacing the top frame have worked out well long term.

Also, the glass is 3/8" thick. It will probably tolerate a little bowing, but I wonder how much. Several years ago, I bought a 10 gallon tank that has very thin glass and I noticed the first time I filled it that it bows about 1/4". I wrote to the manufacturer, and they said it's normal and within tolerance. It's still holding up, so I guess they're right.

atariguy

AC Members
May 27, 2008
Since I have Monday off, and can keep an eye on it for a couple of days, I went ahead and filled the tank the rest of the way up today. So far, so good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store