Bristlenose Pleco - White Poo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kinggyking

Registered Member
Jan 20, 2015
London, UK
PLEASE HELP ME!!

As you know i am new to keeping fish, i recently added two brittleness Pleco's.

One of them seems to always have long white poo coming from underneath. I went back to the aquatics and they said it might be Anchor Worm and gave me some White Spot & Parasite trestmentm but i am reluctant to use yet as i'm not sure if this is right?

I have posted a picture to show what i mean, any ideas of what it is and how to treat would be very much welcome.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 22.01.43.png

packerbacker

Registered Member
Jan 20, 2015
Montello, WI
Real Name
Steve
I have never kept Bristlenose Pleco in my tanks so unfortunately I can't comment on this. Did you recently introduce something new to their diet?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I believe that generally you are able to actually see anchor worms with the naked eye. I would doubt that's the cause if you cannot see any attached...

Oftentimes people will point to that as a symptom of internal parasites, which I guess it could be...any other weird activity? How is your water quality?

Kinggyking

Registered Member
Jan 20, 2015
London, UK
Hi Jpappy,

Thanks for the reply, was beginning to think no one uses these forums lol......

From my knowledge i think he is acting ok, he' somewhat chunkier than the other Pleco i brought with him, but he could be older i guess.

I tested the water this morning with Tetra 6 in 1 test stick and all seems ok just slightly high KH levels, so ill do a 10% change twice this week. I can see that there are lots of long white droppings with in the tank from where he has been releasing.

I have got some of this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/love-fish-white-spot-treatment should i treat the tank with this just in case?

Many thanks

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Does the bottle list the active ingredient(s)? I probably wouldn't start dosing until absolutely sure the medication would work for what the problem is...

I'd highly recommend getting a liquid test kit though. Test strips are, at best, finicky and just not very reliable. Also, we tend to prefer responses with exact numbers (e.g. ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=10, etc.) rather than "good" or "ok", which are subjective.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store