betta breeding project... help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! So I've been trying to breed my male and female betas. The specific pair I'm trying now was successful once, but this time they were together for a week. The female was DEFINITELY full of eggs, but at the end of the week she was skinny, the bubble nest was gone, and there were no babies.... what happened????? The male seemed very aggressive this time, interested as he coupled and paralyzed himself while trying to get the female, silly boy :p but more aggressive than last time. Any ideas?

tropicals

AC Members
Feb 1, 2015
Do you have any idea what caused the bubble nest to vanish ? Was the male tending to the nest at all or was there an outside influence ?

havi0021

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2015
It sounds like he's frustrated. I had something similar happen once; the female was fat and larger than the male, and he just couldn't wrap around her properly. He'd paralyze himself, she'd bite him, he'd wake up and bite her, and eventually they just gave up and chased each other around the tank. My female dropped her eggs on her own, but she never got skinny. Maybe your guy lost interest in the nest? Or maybe none of the eggs were fertile? If he's raised a brood before it's probably not just that he doesn't know what to do...

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
It may be conditioning as well. Don't know your experience level, but when post spawn reconditioning female bettas do not let them gorge. Just because she is fat doesn't mean it is all eggs. I give mine 6-8 weeks before trying again and condition them slowly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store